macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Pokatiu
    tech house
    hi everybody! During the last week I been trying to write some tech house beats, a bit tribalish - to give you a reference let' s say I been inspired mainly by Stefano Noferini, or loads of tracks that are lately coming out with Toolrom Rec. (i d love to attach some files here, but looks like is not possible) anyway I been encountering some major issues and i would like to mention them and see if someone can show me the right direction. First of all: the bass. I have been using a really simple patch i been doing with es2. Sine wave -1 oct and a bit of saw wave layered. Legato mode, very lil glide, and velocity to volume. Analog wheel all the way up. Well... it does not sounds bad but still does not sound so rich and deep as "professional" tracks I hear - and it gets very muddy when playing with the kick. Actually, I am always having problem mixing deep basses with the kick - I been experimenting a lot with eq (e.g. cut the low end of the kick and unboosting the bass around 100Hz to leave some space for the attack of the kick) but still does not sound good. second: percussions. In real world tech tribal, the percussions I hear are ... big and strong. They really fill the spectrum. My percussions sound like a frog's fart, if you allow me this metaphore. I am trying to realize why - if it is just a compression issue - or maybe my samples are not good. (I am using the battery kit - i do have some vengeance samples but they sound really dirty to me) I also been trying using drum machine percussions(nepheton in this case) but they sound too much electronic for me for a track that I would like to sound more acoustic. well - i could go on for ages but this looks long enough and you probably already hate me - so ill stop here. Hope i been clear tks!
  • Hamish H
    Re: tech house
    Hi I just listened to 'somebody to love' on Stefano's myspace page, and a part of another track as well-to my totally un-tech house trained ear it sounds like he uses more than one bass per track. One is a little bit disco and most of the energy is higher up the spectrum, it seems like most of the bottom end has been cut away to leave room for the kick. Its the groovy bit Then there is a more meaty bass under that, that either is only playing on the off beat, or else it is being sidechained compressed by the kick (the same as how Rounik described sidechaining the gate in your other thread, but with a compressor) so it almost disappears whenever the kick sounds. The kick is the instrument carrying all of the bottom end of the track, unless there is a subbass there that I can't pick up on my headphones. I haven't really got the best phones and just had a quick listen, thats just what it sounds like to me and i might be totally wrong! Maybe Olav might stumble across this and help to... Um ... percussion I don't know about, but I think that working on the transients/attack of the sound is what makes it punch through a mix, maybe with a mix of compression and EQ?? or if you want to think laterally you could EQ and/or turn down the volume of everything else except the percussion - make the percussion the lead instruments of the track! Hope that helps, as I said I know nothing about tech house but it was definitely fun trying to figure it out. Hamish
  • Pokatiu
    Hi Hamish H thanks very much for your help!! actually i havent heard somebody to love yet) anyway noferini was just a reference. I just downloaded "Carachillo" by Kaiserdisco, and thats another perfect example of bass kick combination that i d like to achieve about kick and bass - i also had the feeling that he cuts low end and leaves it to the kick and i also have the feeling he uses two bassess. Problem with using more than one bass for me, is the fact that it ends up sounding really mud. I am probably not so good at frequency carving yet. The thing about sidechaing is that when I apply it I really get a pumping sound that i am not sure i want. I would like to keep the bass smooth - maybe i do apply to much ratio when i sidechain and it ends up sounding like one of those "sound like deadmau5" tutorials on youtube))) But i know you are right - i know there is sidechain and i still gotta practice to make it sound organic and smooth - wich is what i d like to achieve [i]or if you want to think laterally you could EQ and/or turn down the volume of everything else except the percussion - make the percussion the lead instruments of the track! [/i] yes yes yes - u re totally right.But i gotta get some well recorded loops to do that. should I take a microphone and go recording some indigens in Chile or Colombia))???
  • Pokatiu
    btw i was wondering what style of music you re in Hamish? just curious ;)
  • Hamish H
    Ha! Yes I think that we should take any excuse to go to Chile and Columbia, if that means recording something so be it. Thnaks for asking about the music I make - I mess about with samples mostly. I'm 100% macprovideo trained and work extremely slowly.... i had an idea that I wanted to put ambient music a la the Orb/KLF/Sabres of Paradise (I'm obviously old) over James Brown funk beats. So thats what I aim for and along the way the music kind of ends up taking over. Man I am so slow though - I've been a macpro student for almost two years and still to finish a track! I guess it cos I'm starting from no skills. Everything is here though. I think that if you want to use Logic for dance music you need to wacth Olav Basoski's tutorials. He does a great one for Ableton Live about making sounds, including basses. Its for Live, but the concepts are the same no matter what daw you use, and its a good way to learn how the instruments work by trying to figure out how to do it in Logic! Even better, if you get his 404 Mixing Electronica he'll teach you everything you need to know about kicks and basses Hey since you were talking about gates with Rounik here is a tune I was working on that uses a gate on the shaker sidechained to the beat, then I mix the original shaker back in. It is a work in progress and nowhere near finished, or mixed, maybe 2013? [url]http://www.box.net/shared/15dlux2hsj[/url] H
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: