macProVideo.com
Forums
  • daryl 72
    Is there a quick way to implement one sound ducking another?
    Hi,I wonder if you can help me.I am using a Platinum Compressor in Logic 8 to externally sidechain.I am using a kick drum as my key input or trigger that compresses a sub bass which ducks the kick drum,but only on the first beat of every bar,not all four beats within that bar.This is because there seems to be upward spread masking on this beat-the other 3 kick drum beats in the bar are distinct.Since this compressor is at a setting that reduces the volume of the sub bass I have automated the compressor so it is active only when the first kick of the bar plays,the rest of the time it is bypassed via automation.However this is fairly time consuming to implement and I'm wondering is there a more efficient way to achieve the same effect?Thanks.Daryl
  • Hamish H
    Re: Is there a quick way to implem...
    Hi You could: 1) create a new track and set it to 'no output' 2) copy the first kick drum of every bar over to the new track - effectivly creating a 'ghost' kick that plays along with the tune but is silent 3) set the sidechain input to the new track. The 'ghost' kick will still trigger the compressor Or: 1) create a duplicate track with identical settings to the first kick track 2) group the tracks so when you mix they act like one track 3) move the first kick of each bar over to the new track 4) trigger the sidechain from the new track. I'm sure there's lots of other ways too, but I hope this helps! Cheers Hamish
  • Vivisuy
    Yeah. I like Hamish's solution. It's quite simple and effective. This should allow you to be as versatile and precise as you need to be. I used this method on my last song. Rob
  • daryl 72
    Hi Hamish,Thanks for the infomation,very helpful,it makes more sense now that I've understood the fundamentals of how sidechaining actually works, since I'm quite new to it.Daryl
  • Hamish H
    No problem Daryl! I'm glad it helped. Thats the thing with audio and Logic - you can think across many tracks for one instrument. I got the idea from Olav's Mixing Electronica tutorial - Olav is the sidechaining and compression master. And Rounik has the answer for everything too, (this is a lucky forum!) so keep asking questions about anything and everything. I still feel like I'm new too and I'm still bugging Rounik for answers! Cheers Hamish
  • Rounik Admin
    "bug" away guys ;-) ... and thanks for the kind words too!! I love Olav's tut... In fact I might just delve back into his Electronica workflow tricks tutorial when I have some time :) Rounik
  • daryl 72
    Hi Hamish,Hi Rounik,glad to hear you don't get irritated by what may seem to you very basic questions but there are somethings Logic manuals and Music Tech,Sound on Sound,Computer Music,etc just do not tell you so I have to use other resources such as you. :-) Thanks. Daryl
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Daryl, That's what the forums are here for... :) I don't think your questions are basic, but I agree that when it comes to learning Logic you need as many resources as possible, and if the community here at macProVideo's forums are helping then we're only happy to be able to help!! I don't know if you have investigated any of the Logic video tutorials or Blog tutorials here, but there are some amazing resources on side chaining and the like as Hamish mentioned. Even if you don't purchase a tutorial or become a monthly subscriber, because you have a free account you can watch the first 10% of every tutorial! You may be interested in checking out the Logic videos we have on offer: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/logic+studio-suite[/url] and the Logic Electronica workflow tricks is excellent (and applicable to genres outside of Electronica too!): [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic406[/url] Our Blog area is here (lots of Logic posts and lots more on the way): [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/[/url] Please feel free to ask any Q's here... well, preferably Logic, Mac, music based one anyhow ;-)
  • daryl 72
    Hi Rounik,Thanks for the friendly and informative response-if only everyone who knew something about music and music production was as down to earth as you. :-) Thanks Daryl.
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Daryl! :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: