macProVideo.com
Forums
  • bobstillman
    Which file type to choose for recorded audio
    Again, a beginner's question:Are there any upsides/downsides to any of the files formats available for audio recording in the Preferences>Audio>General pane? Does it matter which one I pick? Also, if I know that my final product is going to be an audio CD, is there any advantage sound-wise to recording at 48k and bouncing to 44.1k? Thanks, Bob
  • Hamish H
    Re: Which file type to choose for ...
    Hi Bob Rounik gave me some great words of wisdom about recording at 48k right here: [url]https://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=28142&sid=#28149[/url] As for file type, I think Bill Burgess gives the best description in his Mainstage 2 video, and Martin gives a rundown in Logic 101 too. It seems that WAV is the most universally popular, but AIFF is fine too, you might have to convert it to wav if you want to transfer files to another DAW Sorry I cna't give more detail, my little boy is demanding my attention! Cheers Hamish
  • bobstillman
    Thanks, Hamish! I'm going through Martin's Core Logic course, and in some of his videos he chooses 48 for a project destined to be audio only, seeming to imply that there was a perceivable difference. But I think I'll go with Rounik's advice, if only to avoid as much converting of files as possible. I love this forum so far. Thanks again...I'm sure I'll be posting another question soon! Best, Bob
  • Rounik Admin
    Just to add to the discussion... Wave is more universally used in PC land... but Aiff is also hugely popular. CAF hasn't arrived yet, but it does not have the 4GB file size limit... and is the format which Apple is transitioning towards for all the Apple Loops (as you know ;-) .... I don't remember Martin setting a project to 48 in the 101... do you recall which video that was in? I know some friends prefer producing and mixing in 48 and then going to 44.1 for the final master. But it takes more system resources so you won't get as high a track count as 44.1. Another thing to mention is in L8 many Apple loops didn't enjoy being in 44.1 projects! Best Rounik
  • bobstillman
    Hi Rounik, Check out chapter 6 (Recording), lesson 121, discussing sample rate and bit-depth...he does discuss the extra processing power required by higher sampling rates (as he did in lesson 45 on sampling rates), but then he chooses 48 and says "typically, however, 48k is pretty safe--most modern computers can work at that sampling rate without any problem at all." Which led me to wonder if there was any actual advantage to working in 48k given that I'm bouncing to an audio file for CD. Now, to your point about Apple loops in L8--can you tell me what you mean? Can I expect Apple loops to get wonky on me if I'm working in 44.1? Or is it just some of them, and I'll have to figure it out on a case-by-case basis? Thanks! B
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Bob, It's completely fine to work in 48 if you wish. Martin's completely right!! Higher sample rates can give you more accurate . higher quality overall sound... but IMHO, it's not something I notice too much. When creating music/sound for film, then you should work in 48. I remember there were some reported issues with using some Apple Loops in projects running at 48k. All Apple Loops should be absolutely fine at 44.1. :) R
  • bobstillman
    Once again thanks. Now, new issue: I've added an external MIDI device (16-channel keyboard) to the environment, and I succeeded in recording MIDI notes to my project. But the region that was created is white, and when I play back, nothing sounds. I don't know what the white color of tht region is meant to tell me, but I'm sure it's significant....also, interestingly, when I play back, I do see activity in the output meter that appears to the left of the Track name in the Track List for that keyboard. So I'm really confused---is there some routing issue I haven't addressed? What does the white track mean?
  • bobstillman
    OK, I discovered Martin's Logic 7 105 course on the Environment, and have figured it out! So cancel that last request. This is fun... :) Bob
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Bob, Glad you've found the answer in the videos :) By the way, the latest monthly edition of Steve H's TNT3 might be of interest (re: file types and audio): [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic304[/url] Check out videos 27-33... although this might be jumping ahead if you don't know about Beat Mapping... (which is in the Logic 201) and Flex Time (Logic 104). :) Rounik
  • Rohogay
    All the plug ins are optimized for 96K performance not to mention the resolution is much greater. I've been doing 96K at 24 bit now and the quality is much better, even at the bounce out of 44.1K @16 or 24 bit. There is a nyqest effect that occurs in digital at given sampling and frequency that takes ahold and your going to hit the celing at some point where sampling rates are not an advantage and only suck resources off the system to try and run higher sampling. Enter Pro tools HD with external processing hardware. If your computer is powerful enough and your not at risk of clogging the works, then go with WAV AES/EBU, 24 bit 96K. If your doing a lot of synthesizer work you can get along without the resolution increase I suggested. If your doing real audio, it truly is a better way to go. Remeber, plug in software and many outboard hardware products as well are optimized at the development stage for 96K sampling.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: