macProVideo.com
Forums
  • bobstillman
    Re: Which file type to choose for ...
    I'll check it out, but if it involves Flex Time it might be moot, since I'm using L8. :) Bob
  • bobstillman
    Mojave: thanks for the post. I'm running a Mac Pro Quad-core (2x2.8GHz Intel) with 2 GB of RAM. I assume RAM figures into this calculation? Or is CPU processing speed the only consideration? Thanks! B
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Victor and Bob! I agree that recording audio 24 bit is a no-brainer. Also, Logic's Soft synths are good no matter tha sample rate of the project. However, there were issues with using certain apple loops in L8 @ higher sample rates than 44.1. Just be aware of this. It's easy enough to change the project sample rate and convert the files to regular aiff/wave files though. As for the sample rate, the higher the sample rate the lower your track count. If you're using a lot of soft synths, EXS24 instruments and meaty effects then Ram becomes an important consideration. 2GB is the minimum recommended amount of ram, and I'd definitely recommend boosting this amount to at least 4GB. Bear in mind that the operating system requires ram to carry out it's functions too... Logic 9 (in 64-bit mode in Snow Leopard) can access more than 4GB, which again, with larger Soft synths can be of real benefit. Bob, what audio interface you are using? Check if it supports 96k and give it a shot. If you notice the difference and your Mac's CPU is not struggling then go for 88.2 or 96.... I mention 88.2 as there have been scientific-based discussions regarding what happens to the final audio when converted from higher sample rates to 44.1 and, if my memory serves me well, there was a consensus that converting from 88.2 to 44.1 gave more accurate representation than going from 96 to 44.1... something about the divisibility and algorithms used. (Too early in the morning here for me to consider this any deeper!!) Hope that helps Rounik
  • Rohogay
    I replied to the thread but so much for iPhones. Agreed, my recommendation is stay far away form anything other then 44.1K until your system resorces are up to snuff. I made the recommendation based on my own experience but there is no apple loops use in my world so Rounik's point is well taken if your using them. I did 44.1K for the last year and a half and it was very good. When I recently went with a big upgrade in my system I made the leap to 96K. It is more taxing all the way around. That kind of upgrade makes sense if you have the following: You do a lot of real world audio recording via microphones There is a fast I/O at you disposal Lots of computing power Lots and lots of memory, my recommendation would be 16 Gig or more A need for a higher polished sound Again. 96K is where all the algorithms are optimized for most plugins, 88.2 is common in pro studios as is 96K
  • bobstillman
    Hi guys, Victor, I do in fact do a lot of recording of vocals, so I wish I had the setup to try 88.2 or 96....but I believe my old MOTU 828 interface can only handle 44.1 and 48, and 16 GB of RAM is way out of my budget at the moment. I'll keep it in mind for when I win the lottery, though! Thanks :) B
  • Rounik Admin
    I wouldn't necessarily advise buying the ram direct from Apple (expensive!!). I use a 3rd party retailer, Crucial.com to purchase Mac ram and install it myself... Not saying you should rush out and buy 16GB (which Logic 8 can't access at the moment). But I'd say 4GB is about the minimum for larger sessions, whenever the time comes... ... and remember us on the forum when the lottery winnings come your way ;-) btw, what version of the MOTU 828 do you have? Mk I, II or III? I believe the MkIII supports sample rates up to 192!!... :) Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    by the way, I do agree with Victor that if your system can handle it and everything works well and you're happy then definitely try out using a higher sample rate :) Cheers R
  • bobstillman
    Rounik, I have the original original, plain vanilla 828---no MK at all, unless it's MK-zero! What can I say, it's old...
  • bobstillman
    (But on the positive side, it still works!)
  • Rounik Admin
    :) ... and the fact it works is the most important factor of all !
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: