macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Christian L
    Re: Which file type to choose for ...
    [quote:]It seems that WAV is the most universally popular, but AIFF is fine too...[/quote] On audio formats again... You're right, WAV is most universally popular. But there is absolutely no sound difference between WAV and AIFF, they're both lossless. One significant difference however is that AIFF can hold metadata (for example tags to store artist's name, song title, etc.) I never understood why WAV can't hold this type of information. I personally think it's quite nonsense to have a musical audio format that can't hold metadata. That's why I always prefer to use AIFF, especially when bouncing final songs (unless clients request a WAV version, which is too often the case unfortunately!) Christian
  • Rounik Admin
    too true! I love the way bounced Aiff's from Logic hold Marker data, tempo data, etc, etc... ... but what about the Broadcast Wave format Christian? I thought it had the ability to store meta data when bounced from PT in PC land?
  • Rohogay
    I do AIFF as well, at least for myself. If I send to another user, say a Pro Tools user, I just make a WAV and "Save as Tape" so it sets the beginning and end positions and the part stays exactly where it belongs. Most of the time I put a click in front of the track for the recipient but I am not doing pro work like Christian, he is a serious power user/professional, I am a self contained user so to speak. I did a lot of good samples at 44.1K 24 bit using a low cost system and Logic 8. I had nothing to speak of in gear other then an Apogee Mini Me mic pre. If you use Logic to it's fullest potential, budgeted and all, You get excellent results. I believe that sincerely since I did that myself. As you progress and move from Prosumer to Professional, then your able to make changes that are feasible for the rig your using. All told, Logic can be made to work at many levels and budgets with great results. I hope there will be some improvements with respect to user control panel selections. I would like to see a way to pre set solo safe for I/O patching when your going to be using the same ones. I guess I could just do that in the template.
  • Christian L
    [quote:]... but what about the Broadcast Wave format Christian? I thought it had the ability to store meta data when bounced from PT in PC land?[/quote] Yes, that's true. But I use PCs only when I have to! :D Logic can also record in Broadcast Wave Format. AFAIK, BWF can hold timestamp, but not song's information (artist's name, album's title, etc.). Of course, I may be wrong... Maybe it's just that iTunes is only able to store tags in AIFF/MP3/AAC files and not WAVE? Christian
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: