macProVideo.com
Forums
  • bobstillman
    Independent Monitoring Level for Record Enabled Channel Strips
    I'm intrigued by the "Independent Monitoring Level for Record Enabled Channel Strips" function in the Core Audio preferences pane. Want to make sure I get it: as I understand it, if this is enabled, Logic will interpret any change you make to the fader level on the record-enabled channel strip to be a monitoring change, not an input change. So I assume that to use this, you should first set your record levels with this option disabled, then enable it so that you can create the optimal cue mix for the singer or instrumentalist. Yes? :) Bob
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Independent Monitoring Level f...
    Hi Bob, Almost... Actually you can't set the recording level in Logic, using the channel strip faders. Recording levels can only be changed on your MOTU or Mixer (hardware)... The volume fader on a channel strip only ever controls the playback of that channel strip. RE: Independent Monitoring for record enabled channel strips... I find the explanation from the Logic manual pretty helpful: From the manual: [i]"If the Independent Monitoring Level (for Record Enabled Channel Strips) option is enabled, an independent monitoring level is available when an audio channel strip is record enabled. After you arm the track, set the fader to the desired level. The original playback level will be restored when the channel stripâs Record button is disabled". [/i] Let me know if that doesn't make sense. :) Rounik
  • bobstillman
    Wow, thanks, I really was confused about that! I just went back to Martin's chapter on setting record levels, and sure enough he said exactly that. So, then, the Independent Monitoring function is just a way of ensuring that you return to the original playback level for the track after you've adjusted it for the purposes of setting up a headphone mix or what-have-you?
  • Rounik Admin
    Yup! That's basically it. ... Martin's always one step ahead with his explanations in the tutorials!! ;-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: