macProVideo.com
Forums
  • guitar_trance
    Logic 8 First Impressions
    I've looked over the manual extensively at this point, read reviews and seen lots of screenshots, besides what I've seen here. My first initial reaction is not to bother with upgrading... at least considering the non hands-on exposure I've had thus far. I looked long and hard for a DAW for home use after playing professionally for years and rather extensive studio experience as a player. I finally settled on Logic because it's the most personally customizable of all music production software, in my opinion, and definitely the most beautiful and studio-realistic interface wise. I am very disappointed at the changes made to Logic's interface. From it's brightened, much less colorful, metallic appearance to the cheap-looking transport now at the bottom of the arrange window ( I liked Logic's former transport, a lot... floating, bluish-green text, etc.) and it's new, very "colorful" WHITE text (very creative, Apple!) which, I understand cannot be moved, it's stationary. There is little I regarding some of Logic's functional changes, and absolutely nothing I like about it's new appearance. I somehow feel Apple has cheapened a once absolute beautifully crafted piece of software for a cluttered, mundane-looking, one-windowed, gimmicky interface. I may, as time goes on, change my mind of course. I do intend on at least giving it the benefit of the doubt with a healthy try for functionality reasons... but I won't upgrade my current version of Logic. It would appear many around the net seem to like Logic's new changes. I wish all of you in that camp well, and hope you enjoy Apple's new baby. I was just getting used to Logic, and loving every second of using it, the way it was. Personally, other than Mainstage, I feel the changes were for no reason other than to make it more Leopard-like in appearance. Leopard's appearance is fine. But for Logic, in my opinion, it now feels cold, plain and boring. I appreciate the work the folks at MacProVideo do. Your aid in helping me learn Logic was extremely beneficial... you're second to none. Thanks, guys. However, with this particular "upgrade" of Logic I am extremely disappointed, and I feel the near-perfect piece of software (even considering it's issues) that was Logic to be no longer the case. Very disappointed. Opinions?
  • Bal
    Re: Logic 8 First Impressions
    dear gtr trance, i do understand your frustration. logic takes time and at the moment youâ??ve got it... they will release new version and the learning begins... i do music in computer for 15 years now; check my web site if you have time www.pbmrecords.com ... and in this 15 years i had to go trough many many upgrades. some stuff is better and some will make us sad... my biggest upset is; why they had to kill Studio Vision Pro??? by far my favor midi sequencer ever. i guess we progress but not everything new will be better and they of course have to push new versions to make the $$$$$$ i am very exited about the new version of Logic and i am looking forward to get my copy but not everything will be perfect and in a year or two they will bring another version and another and another.... lol later bro bal
  • Wilifua
    I've loaded Logic Studio on my MacBook Pro, and kept Logic 7 on Power PC dual 2.7. I'm thinking Logic 8 may not run as well as Logic 7 on my Power PC. Is that true? I have 5 gigs of ram on my power pc, and 3 gigs on my Macbook. I hope others write of their impressions of Logic 8. I have found it to be easier than Logic 7. I never got far with 7, but have already started recording several songs on 8. I do understand the frustration of constantly upgrading software. I recorded a lot of computer music in the 90s, then stopped around 2000, and haven't been able to catch back on as well until now.
  • JGUNZ
    I have upgraded from logic express 7 and I am very pleased with the new version!! I can understand why people love logic pro 7 and if had started out with that I may not have upgraded seeing how there was not many new plugins added, and I really did like the look and feel of the old arrange window. If someone is thinking about a jump from express 7 to logic studio I think it will be a good move and you won't be dissappointed. Good luck in any choice you make!!
  • Wilifua
    Thanks for your response. How have you approached learning 8 (or exprress 7 for that matter?). Don't get me wrong, I never understood 7 as much as I do 8, and I was programing computer music into a sinclare in the 70's! "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" but i'm not that old. I wasn't able to learn 7 but I am able to learn 8, and then apply it to 7. Anyway, even if I can't keep up any more I do think a forum called "...first impressions" is worthwhile for people who can, and I do think trying to get an answer to the question of keeping 7 on a Power PC instead of switching is worth an answer. Thanks again for a response. Tim
  • Christian L
    [quote:26984]I've loaded Logic Studio on my MacBook Pro, and kept Logic 7 on Power PC dual 2.7. I'm thinking Logic 8 may not run as well as Logic 7 on my Power PC. Is that true? I have 5 gigs of ram on my power pc, and 3 gigs on my Macbook. [/quote] Logic 8 should run well on your G5. I use a G5 myself and all my Logic 7 project are running great! Do you know that a Logic 8 installation on your G5 won't erase Logic 7? That way you can try it out yourself and make a decision.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: