macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ken Deavers
    2-Mix Analysis?
    Ok, so I'm using Logic Pro 8, and am currently taking a college class on mixing. Today we (finally) got to WHY the mixes that I was making sounded so quiet next to commercial releases. The teacher explained and demonstrated using Sony Sound Forge how the 2 mix at the end will have the peak level and rms level, and by raising the peak level to its maximum potential, then maximizing (which is really just a hardcore compressor), you can raise the RMS to make your mix louder and sit somwhere between -10 to -20 dB. He used a plugin called Waves Ultramaximizer. He then showed us about removing the DC offset. I was so excited to do this when I got home, but now I cant find the tools to do so! Do I just import my 2-mix into a new logic project on a stereo track? Or do I do something different? Also, when he was using Sound Forge, he brought up a window that analyzed the wav file and told us the peak level, peak position, and RMS (though it used different terms.) WHERE CAN I FIND THIS IN LOGIC?? I've looked everywhere! Help would be AMAZING. Thanks! -Ken
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: 2-Mix Analysis?
    Hi Ken, Welcome to the macProVideo forums! Sound Forge is a pretty impressive app - one I wish was available on the Mac platform... but you have all the tools you need in Logic Studio to Master your tracks. Use the Adlimiter insert plugin on your Output channel strip to limit your tracks... Use the Multimeter to read RMS/Peak values and see the levels, freq and correlation in real-time. Logic doesn't have an offline analysis window like Sound Forge... I think you could use Soundtrack Pro to so this though. Hope that helps Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: