macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Xofadea
    Remapping trigger notes in Ultrabeat
    Hi, Rounik. I saw your article about remapping outputs in Ultrabeat. I've done the same with the EXS 24 Rock Kit, and BFD 2. I've also created an environment that uses the bottom 5 octaves in the piano roll for drum programming. [c-2 to b2 Each note triggers one hit. i.e. g#-2 & a-2 = kick 1. I've grouped each drum together, so that in a vertical stack kicks are at the bottom, then snares, hat, toms and cymbals. This gives me 2 hits for each instrument and 10 hi-hat varoations [quarter, half tip or shank. open closed. etc] It makes tom fills and cymbal hits a a cinch, and allows the kick and snare to sit next to each other on the piano roll editor. Unfortunately, Ultrabeat's trigger notes are fixed. From memory the first Kick is c3 and the rest are higher. Is there a way to remap the trigger notes lower so they would match my custom environment? Any ideas you have would be appreciated. Thanks for you time. Peter North.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Remapping trigger notes in Ult...
    Hi Peter, There isn't a way to remap trigger notes directly in Ultrabeat (i.e. assign them to different pitch values). However, they obey the MIDI standard C1 upwards... What you could do is create a Transformer which adds or subtracts from the input pitch by a certain number of semi-tones - to trigger the notes in UB. e.g. If you want to hit C3 on your MIDI Keyboard to trigger the lowest kick in UB (at C1) Route a Transformer to the UB channel strip/Sequencer Input in the Environment with Conditions set as follow: Status : Note Channel : All Pitch : >= C3 Velocity : All Operations should read as follows: Status : Thru Channel : Thru Pitch : Sub 24 Velocity : Thru That should work fine. Let me know if it works ok for you. :)
  • Xofadea
    Hi, Rounik. Thanks for the info. I've never done that kind of stuff in the environment, but I'll give it a try. In the chart you provided where it says Pitch Sub 24, does that mean 2 octaves lower? That's what I thought anyway. So can I go lower than 2 octaves by increasing the value? Say Sub 48 for 4 octaves? My kick's are [off the top of my head] g-2 and g#-2. The lowest octave on the piano staff at the left side of the piano roll editor. I'll have to work out the correct interval, but you get the idea. Thanks again for your time and your assistance; and as we say in Australia Haveagoodweekend. Peter North.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Peter, Do you have access to the Logic TNT 1, 2 and 3 tutorials? They'll be of great help in understanding how the Environment works and how to utiltise it effectively. Yup, Sub (subtract) 24 means subtract 2 octaves. Yes, you could do it my method - or if you're only concerned with getting two kicks at say G -2 and G# -2 and you wish them to be triggered by say, C2 and C#2 you could use Two Transformers in Series and set the Pitch Condition on one to: C2 and operation to G -2 and the other C#2 and G# -2 respectively. Let me know how you get on and feel free to upload your project to box.net and paste the link here if you'd like me to take a look. Have a great weekend too... (Looking forward to the Ashes!) :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: