macProVideo.com
Forums
  • logicluvva
    Volumes whilst recording
    Hello to Rounik , Bj and all others that help out. I usually whack up the main volume of my Motu 8Pre , keep Logic's Output 1-2 fader at 0dB and then adjust it's Master fader to a comfortable level to record and listen back at. Is this wrong ? I still get confused over the relationship between the two said faders.Even though I've recorded ( and mastered ) a few songs I am happy with. It's since the Bounce - In - Place feature.....I scratch my head a little over whether the Master Fader affects the level of the bounced file. I am now using multi-outputs of various drum programs and orchestral instruments.The more advanced I get the more I find that I am re-visiting the basics. I've read that I can keep my Master Fader at zero whilst tracking ? That confused me more. Surely I don't need to keep twiddling the audio interface volume & can use the Master to adjust the playback level ? As I have been doing....keeping my Output 1-2 at 0dB. Thanks again for any help. I hope I've clearly laid out the headscratch I am having
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Volumes whilst recording
    Hey logicluvva, This is big (and often contentious topic ;) I should ask though before I continue... are you talking about adjusting Logic's Faders while recording audio or whilst recording MIDI or simply during playback? Thanks Rounik
  • logicluvva
    Hi Rounik It's a bit of everything I suppose : ) It's about what fader you go to in order to alter the level of playback.And the effect that would have on any audio I choose to record. If I kept my Output 1-2 fader on 0dB and use the Master for playback level control... does that cause problems ? Or was I supposed to keep the Master fader AND Output 1-2 at 0dB and have to turn down at the interface ? When I bounce an individual track...which of these faders dictates the outcome for the resultant level ? I have a control surface which I usually adjust the master of. Things have been fine so far ( without me having full knowledge of this interaction ) but I don't see mention of a solid explanation of this elsewhere Cheers
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey logicluvva, Well the first thing to remember is that no fader in Logic can control the input gain/level for your recording. The input level is controlled by the Gain on your hardware audio interface. The Master Channel in Logic controls the complete output from Logic to the selected Audio Interface. The Stereo Output (Output 1-2) is the sum of the signal flow ... basically all channel strips routed to Output 1-2... Keeping this at 0dB is often seen as very important by some engineers... other disagree and feel that adjusting the Output 1-2 levels should be done if only to avoid clipping. Listen at every stage of the signal chain. e.g. Listen to your audio/SI channels... are they clipping/distorting? If so, turn their levels down. ----The signal is then routed to Output 1-2 right... so if Output 1-2 is clipping (in the red) either reduce the signal level feeding it (on other channels and Aux's... or lower it's fader. When you're happy with the mix... if you want to bounce the project to a single audio file then what you hear (and see) on the Output 1-2 channel strip will be what is bounced. The Master Fader is simply the last fader in the chain and can be used to increase/lower the output level from Logic to the audio interface - without messing with the mix of individual channel strips or the Output 1-2 channel strip. When you bounce an individual track, that track's level fader and the Output 1-2 (if that's where it's output is routed to) determine the level for that track... Hope that helps :) Rounik
  • logicluvva
    Yes, that helps immensely.Perfect. Cheers, Rounik...as always. Take care.Until the NEXT contentious topic.....ha : )
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs logicluvva! Until the next time indeed ;-) ... or check out the blog which is growing and growing with new posts daily on all range of topics - but especially laden with all sorts of Logic tutorials and more... [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/[/url] :)
  • Rounik Admin
    oops... missed out something while typing in my reply" Nov 23 '10 @ 3:08am PST. The last paragraph should read: "When you bounce an individual track, that track's level fader, the Output 1-2 (if that's where it's output is routed to) and the Master Fader determine the level of the bounced audio... Sorry for any confusion. :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: