macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rohogay
    Constantly getting low memory message
    Really getting to where this is no fun anymore. 64 bit? what a waste. if you use it ONLY with Logic and it's Logic Apple plug-ins, your golden. But 99% of the rest of the world is still making 32 bit plug-ins. What that means in short is even though the 32 bit float device is supposed to midigate this 4 gig only problem, It does not. In other words. The total memory your machine can use for 32 bit is still, 4 Gig. Not 4 Gig per plug in as it was once implied when using 32 bit float which I had hopped for. I've settled with running 32 bit mode since it has all the features anyway and makes things easier to use. And, since there is no real advantage to the 64 bit system yet, (aside for Melodyne which i have another story about) the 32 bit frustration is still a serious problem. I had a project which I was working and it was walking on egg shells trying to be sure it saved everything and did not crash. Oh what a joy Logic and the Native systems can beâ¦.Smiles everyone. Several crashes, and a few, "Logic Cannot Store this"messages with a few " You're running low on memory, you might not want to use any more plug ins but you can still keep on working" Messages. That will turn you off quick. The "unable to store" error came after a lot of work in the sample editor. I do in fact use comand S to save what I do as much as I can remember but this time I must have done one segment that took nearly 40 min and it was grueling. Had to do it over. Would not store, by by, all gone This is when NATIVE starts to really piss me off and make me want to go to another system so I can move on without the chocking. Pro Tools HD maybe? Big bucks but, The stuff is out there, if only Logic had a way to do some delegating other then NODE so I could get past the 4 Gig limit. Now I used FREEZE on every track that had plug ins and most of all the heavy lifting like melodyne I exported out with the exceptions of a few plug ins that had 4 or 5 nots in them. Closed logic and opened Melodyne studio to do all the corrections. Saved the track and imported it back into logic. Lots of work arounds to to keep things from getting exploding but it works. Its actually less work then rewire. What is the trick to keeping the "Memory" game under control? I do my darndest but need to learn some serious pro workarounds here on these issues. Here is a screen shot of this last project that gave me some real headaches with choking up. [img]http://mojaveampworks.com/scrn/choke.jpg[/img] One question, when you option click a plug in to turn it off, does that release the memory or just turn it off? Victor Mason Mojave Ampworks LLC
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Constantly getting low memory ...
    Hey Victor, This really sounds like an issue with 3rd party plugins being 32-bit and not Logic as such... Are you running Logic 9.1.3? Are you running any apps outside of Logic? have you tried a simple restart... does that help? :) R
  • Rohogay
    I got this from Logic Pro Help Forum. So I will try this. http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=64785&highlight=
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes... this document should help a lot: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3161[/url] :)
  • Rohogay
    Regarding 64 bit, if I were to go 64 bit, would it be advantageous over all in light of the fact I am using 32 bit plugins which are very important? I know they use a 32 bit float but when I spoke to Apple Tech Support, they indicated without doubt that the 32 Bit Float is restricted to 4 Gigs of memory as is the 32 bit operating mode. So the only extended benefit is the native Logic synths etc. I did in fact have three EXS24s running and that was probably it. Normally I do not. So what about the core settings? I manually set the cores to 8, I read that article and it mentions 16 or 8 real and 8 virtual. Any thoughts on this? If 8 cores are set as default, will the virtual also be engaged? What happens if you select more then your Box has? How do you distinguish between virtual and real computer cores? I have a dual Quad core so that is 8 cores. Any advice other then the obvious? try 64 bit, make the best of it and when i need to bounce out or make an MP# I just go to 32 bit more? I saw in Greg Townsley's video under the last chapter, final thoughts. He said he uses hs AUX as his master and does not use a master out. He records to that and saves the exported project in the manner rather then bouncing. Any thoughts?
  • Rohogay
    Ok, After all my Belly aching, I did two things to try and resolve this. First, I went into preferences. I set the Cores opened from Automatic to 16. I have 8 real cores and 8 virtual, that makes a whopping 16 and that is plenty. I have 16 gigs of memory so I know I have enough of that. Second, I changed from 32 bit to 64 as my standard operating mode. Now I have access to the 16 gigs. 3rd, I brought this upon myself. I ran three (3) EXS24s at the same time in 32 bit mode with lots of plug ins and I didn't bother to adjust the virtual memory in the EXS24s. Rather then bother with that, I've simply switched to 64 and will tolerate the annoying 32 bit float but it works and I suspect with 96K and the super fast converters, I can afford 512 samples for a buffer for recording and 1024 for mixing. I use nothing when I track. I track dry and a bone and also use the low latency mode for the fastest and least amount of latency I can get. So making a few changes for the system to handle the larger loads which I am responsible for are going to play out here and I shall report back. I wonder what the ramifications of setting all 16 cores as open will be full time? Can't cause to much damage since I am loading it up.
  • Hamish H
    [quote:]I saw in Greg Townsley's video under the last chapter, final thoughts. He said he uses hs AUX as his master and does not use a master out. He records to that and saves the exported project in the manner rather then bouncing. [/quote] Hi Mojave Greg is using protools, so I don't think its necessarily appropriate to export like he does. I remember a thread where Rounik and yourself agreed that Logic's bounce algorithms were about as good as you get. Sorry I can't be more help with your memory problem - I run 32 bit on a dual core. which is small potatos but works for me at the moment. Have you tried converting your EXS24 regions into audio files? That might make a small difference.... Good luck anyway boss
  • Rounik Admin
    Very true! I agree with Hamish :) R
  • Rohogay
    It is possible to set up the AUX channels to distribute the load better as indicated on the apple Document above. I agree, Pr tools HD with TDM is different but With todays newer Mac Pros, it is possible to get nearly if not the same performance so long as things are correctly set up and distributed. Working must have some logic to using logic! ha!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: