macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ken Deavers
    "The disk is too slow or System Overload"
    Hey guys. So, i've been working on a 17 track (all audio) project, and I continually am getting this message. Its getting so bad that I cant even play back two tracks at one time without getting it at least once a minute, sometimes as much as every 4 or 5 seconds! And this is even after i've muted AND frozen all the tracks im not using! I am running Logic Pro 8 on my Powerbook G4 laptop. I have about 10 Gigs left of HD space and 512 mb of ram. I have been using logic for a while now, and have never had this problem (at least not THIS bad. usually when i freeze tracks it remedies the situation). Now I cant even work it is so frustrating! Granted, I am using more tracks than in the past, but I'm pretty sure my last project had about the same amount of tracks. So I'm wondering: Will freeing up more space fix the problem? I would really rather not go deleting a bunch of things from my computer if its not going to do any good. Or should I buy more ram? Both options are difficult for me, because I'm also very broke, but I NEED to fix this.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: "The disk is too slow or ...
    Hi Ken, 10 GB is the minimum free space you should have when running Logic IMHO. Definitely clearing more space should help. What version of OSX are you running? Are you running your project from a fast (7200rpm) external firewire drive? (This will help) 1/2 GB of Ram will barely run Logic 8.... I'm impressed it's been running ok for you. More ram should take some strain away... but it's usually a speed of the HD and free space issue. Do you have multiple plugins on your tracks? Which ones, how many? What processor speed is your Powerbook? In the meantime try out the "Repair Permissions" as detailed on this thread: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] :) R
  • Ken Deavers
    Hi Ken, Hmm i guess I will have to part with some of my beloved music collection since I cant afford an external :/ And I'm running OSX 10.4, and running it straight from its own hard drive. I guess Ill also have to kick out some money for RAM. I've been putting it off for a while. Generally I have a compressor and equalizer on each track, along with aux busses for reverbs As for the processor speed, I'm not too sure, and I'm not at home to check. I will try that permissions thing though to see if that works. Thanks! -Ken
  • Rounik Admin
    running projects/audio samples/files direct from the system HD (in this case a slow 5400rpm drive) will give worse performance than running them from an external firewire drive. But, keeping all your important files and projects on one hard drive and NOT backing them up is NOT a good idea!! Always backup your important data... When you start adding up the price for more ram, a new external HD, etc - it might be worth comparing that to the price of a second hand / refurbished intel macbook. That will give you much better performance for the money IMHO. Let me know how you get on. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: