macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Dekuruy
    Re: Some questions regarding recor...
    Hi Rounik, I know it's been a while since your last reply, so my apologies. The show went well. I was not able to implement your solution to record enabling all cs's. for the show, but was able to figure out a solution for the next Friday, when the my school's student band performed for the school's annual Holiday Party. I had a lot of tracks on the arrange pages of my projects routed to instrument objects in the environment, so I had to do things a little differently in order to group everything and record enable all tracks at once, but it worked. Thanks again for your guidance on that! I had a question about mixing desks. Are there any that you can recommend that interface well with Logic? Maybe I have the wrong idea, but what I'm hoping for is something that can integrate audio directly and completely into Logic's mixer environment, so that every channel from the hardware mixer can be routed into and fully controlled by the environment's mixer layer, or at least a separate mixer window - probably through USB...... I'm going to start another thread to answer your question about iPad apps - I also commented on your fantastic iPad Music Creation blog page. As always, Rounik, Thanks for everything. Oh, btw, the 'blogs' section of MPV is now another huge bonus to an already great site, thanks to you and all the other contributors.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Adam, No need to apologise and glad to hear that you got it working for the next performance! It sounds like you might want an interface with multiple inputs and/or a Mixing desk with multiple inputs... How many inputs min. and max. would you require? Have you considered using TouchOSC on your iPad as an alternative hardware mixer - I've been much more impressed with it over AC-7 Pro! Let me know, Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Rounik, Yes, how many inputs - good question. I know I'd like four XLR input and several 1/4 inch (or mini) inputs. My receiving the iPads has given more necessity for a higher amount of inputs. When you say, "It sounds like you might want an interface with multiple inputs and/or a Mixing desk with multiple inputs...", what are the differences between an interface and a mixing desk? And yes, I first saw TouchOSC a few months ago (when I first got my iPhone and was looking for apps) and realized the great potential it had, including for use as a remote mixing board! And thanks for confirming what I had heard about AC-7 Pro - Saitara is coming out with something to replace that, I believe. Hopefully, it will be better.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Adam, Well, I'm not too savvy with Audio Interface & Mixers all-in-one setups... I've come across the "M-Audio NRV10 Firewire Mixer" and I think there is a Yamanha equivalent too... So, basically, it seems you're asking for a mixing desk that also acts as an interface. So if it has 8 inputs on the mixing desk these 8 inputs are recognized by Logic as 8 individual inputs. Then you've also got the mixing desk aspect too. If you go the audio interface only route, then you can get as many ins and outs as needed and either use the gain knobs on the interface to mix the input - or use a control surface (e.g. Mackie or Touch OSC) to control the playback levels of the tracks in Logic. For me, using Logic 9.1.1 and already having an iPad, I'd go the TouchOSC route as it has much better response than AC-7 Pro and is fully integrated with Logic... It is recognized by Logic as a control surface and doesn't need any intermediary applications in order to communicate with Logic... (Seems Logic's developers have worked directly with TouchISC to make this happen)... but of course some people will prefer to use hardware, so you might like to look in to a hardware control surface. A mixing desk is also an option (one that doesn't interface with Logic but where the instruments are connected to the Desk's inputs and these outputs are then fed to an audio interface to go direct into Logic. This would be cool if, for example, you want to mix the live sound of say 12 instruments. So you mix that on the desk and either 1) send the outputs to their own inputs on the audio interface and thus to their own track in Logic or 2) send the combined stereo output of the desk to the audio interface and thus to a stereo audio track in Logic... Hope this makes some sense :) Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Rounik, Thank you for the info. Yes, it makes sense and clarifies my understanding. Much appreciated! Getting an audio interface, and using an iPad with TouchOSC would probably be the way I would go. I'm looking at the MOTU 8pre 16x12 FireWire Audio Interface. Have you heard anything pro or con about that? Thanks Rounik - I recently saw in one of your responses that you were feeling under the weather. I hope you're recovering. Take care, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Adam, I hear good things about MOTU's solid drivers and their A/D and preamps are good too. Though others prefer the quality of RME and Apogee A/D converters, I think for the money they're good! Thanks... Am better now my friend! Enjoying the unusual amount of snow and ice that's hit the UK this last month :) R
  • Dekuruy
    Thanks Rounik. Good to know about the MOTU. Apogee will be one of my first purchases, however, when I win the lottery! Glad you're feeling better. And definitely watch out for the ice! Take care, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Adam! ... if I win the lottery you'll be getting an Apogee too - that's just doubled your chances ;-) Best Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Thanks Rounik! I'm feeling luckier already!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: