macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Vivisuy
    Greg Townley & sample rate
    I finished watching the great tutorial On sonic dimensions. Mr. Townely recommends a high sample rate of 96 k. He also recommends a "word clock". How do I switch to the higher sample rate with all plugins in tow? Plus how does a word clock hook up and what does it do? Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Greg Townley & sample rate
    Hi Rob, It's a great tutorial "Sonic Dimensions"... very inspiring :) In Logic you can switch to 96k (if your interface supports it) by going to: File > Project Settings > Audio All Logic's instrument and effect plugins will adapt to 96k just fine... But you may need to convert the audio files to 96k - in the Bin select the files and then choose Audio File > Copy/Convert File(s)... As for word clock... It's a mechnism designed to keep two devices constantly and perfectly in time sync. Find out more here: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_clock[/url] :) Rounik
  • Vivisuy
    I don't have any outboard gear other than my digital I/O (presonus firepod). So the word clock doesn't replace the computers system internal clock when using Logic and it's plugins?
  • Rounik Admin
    It sounds to me like you don't need to use word clock... Logic is capable as a host to sync all it's plug-ins etc with the hardware being used. No need for word clock in this case. :) Rounik
  • Vivisuy
    That's what I thought since I do everything in the box. Thanx Rob. P.S. I tried his trick of "flopping the phase" on a Maxx Bass aux/send track. I don't know why, but WOW what a difference that makes! Much more low end effect. Mr. Townley knows his stuff. I used the gain tool in Logic to flop the phase. Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs. You know you're not the first to talk highly about Greg Townley's Mixing - Sonic Dimensions tutorial!... Logic's Gain plug-in is one of the most essential utility plug-ins in Logic. I often wish it's parameters were built-in to each channel strip. :) R
  • Rohogay
    RE the word Clock, I have often wondered why that is important. It is important when you're trying to keep many digital process tightly together so as not to have added sample errors build up. Consider this, A lot of structure has been developed on a mixing console and there are a lot of external third party plug ins and if you happened to have any external hardware, it will be advantageous to have an external word clock so as not to allow the host to create additional anomalies that they inevitably do. No, you do not NEED a word clock as the host does provide it,but it is an advantage. That really only applies to those of us who are using Professional level I/O units. The New Symphony has a Big Ben built in. The Lynx Aurora has a word clock and some or many PCI cards also have word clocks. I am not an expert but I do respect the issue when trying to keep things from running amuck. A big project can do just that especially when dealing with native systems.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: