macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hamish H
    Changing the key of the Chord Memorizer
    Hi Rounik I'm working with the chord memorizer at the moment - following Steve H's instructions in TNT 2007 I've set it up so that each white key in the chord memorizer is in the key of D. (I'm playing single notes on my caps lock keyboard) But then I noticed that the chord memorizer inspector has a 'key' field, which I can also set to D. The manual says: "Key field: The entire chord map is transposed by the amount set here. For example, if you map C to CEG, and set Key to 1, then C# is mapped to C#FG#." What exactly does this mean? Instead of setting each individual key to play in D, can I just choose Key: D and whatever I play will be transposed up 2 semitones (and in the key of D)? Thanks Rounik, I hope you are well Hamish
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Changing the key of the Chord ...
    Hey Hamish, Hope you are well mate! Try setting say C2 to play C2, F2 and A2 (just as a test)... and connect a Monitor object to the output of the channel strip... now pressing C2 on your keyboard/capslock keyboard will generate C2, F2 and A2 as expected. Change the "Key" value in the Chord memorizer's Inspector to C# and press C2. It'll only playback C2. Play C#2 and you'll generate the notes: C#2, F#2 and A#2. So the Key field basically transposes what has been set... Hope that makes sense. btw, sorry the delay in getting back to you re: the compression topic you sent me a long time back. I'm hoping to take a close look towards the end of this week. btw (2) - you might be interested in the interview I did of Steve H. Part 1 is on the blog now... apart 2 is on it's way :) Thanks Rounik
  • Hamish H
    Hi Rounik Cheers mate, I got it eventually. It really helped by setting up the monitor object. You're spot on, it just transposes the pattern. So if I want to program the chord memorizer to be in the key of D only works if you program it key by key. But then I transposed the pattern as well just to see what would happen - it made some really unexpected intervals which are actually pretty cool! I'm glad you're going to check out the compression experiment I sent, it was really interesting to try. I'm still working on that slicing beats project too, so hopefully I can post that this weeka s well! All the best H
  • Rounik Admin
    Yup - the Monitor object is soooo useful in any Environment. I usually use a Monitor as the beginning and end of most of my environments... and then throw a bunch in between too ;-) Looking forward to the beat slicing project - maybe in time for Christmas? I love me an Environmental xmas ;-) Rounik
  • Hamish H
    Hi Rounik The beat slicing doesn't involve the environment unfortunately... but i guess it could, maybe a button that alternated the mute on two tracks? (I'm not sure if you remember but I had two different drum loops on separate tracks, one muted. Then by alternating the mute from one track to the other and recording the output onto a new track I ended up with a craazy new beat.) so anyway, I guess i'd need to use a button (maybe two, the first one turns it on), a cable switcher, a monitor to find out the cc of the channel mute, and a transformer... am I headed in the right direction? Cheers Hamish
  • Rounik Admin
    Yup! That sounds like the right direction to me :) Let me know if you need any help with it... Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: