macProVideo.com
Forums
  • azjrc
    RTA 31 Band EQ, and Pink Noise.
    I am new to the forum, but love what Sitter and you folks are doing here. I have a sweet set up: Mac Pro, 2 Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 2 X 20 inch Cinema displays, a pair of Mackie HR824, an Apogee Ensemble, a MCU, C4 and a couple of nice AKG mics. Can life get much better? One thing that I havenâ??t done is acoustically treat my studio space. In Oct 06 I was brand new to all of this, and for the last year I have been studying Logic Pro and am just now starting to bring my compositions to the mastering stage. I have been studying a few books on mixing and mastering and read that a Real-Time Analyzer, Pink noise, a 31-band graphic equalizer and a calibrated microphone can compensate for acoustically treating a room. This is what I did. I plugged my AKG C414B microphone into my first Audio Track and I then inserted an AU 31 band EQ and the Logic Multimeter. On the second track I inserted the test Oscillator for my pink noise. In record enabled mode I was able to pick up the pink noise on my mic and adjust the EQ to get a flat analysis on the Multimeter. I then saved the Audio Units EQ setting for my room. My question is, did I do it right? Do I then put the AU EQ on the Out 1-2 track? What about mastering? Do I use the same EQ setup on Waveburner. I still having trouble with a burned AIFF file that sounds good on a Car stereo. Sorry to be long winded.
  • Xidehoy
    Re: RTA 31 Band EQ, and Pink Noise.
    You bet a sweet setup...which lottery did you win? :) I haven't done room compensation eq in years, and I'm certainly not an expert, but what you described sounds correct in principle. What were you pumping the noise out of? Don't forget your speakers, your microphone, your ears..all have their own sonic characteristics...there are mucho variables. Once I had a first pass on some compensation settings I would bring in a few recordings I was familiar with and assess how they sounded with the new settings...and then do the opposite - mix down something and listen to it through as many speakers as I could (home stereo, walkman (!), car stereo, etc) and then try to find a happy medium iteratively. Just .02 Shaun
  • azjrc
    Re: RTA 31 Band EQ, and Pink Noise.
    I paid for the system through years of sacrifice and a lucky real estate deal. The cool thing is that own it outright and not on credit. I played the noise through my Mackie HR 824 monitors. I thought that the commerical recordings sounded great before I made these changes, but I don't like the result of my when I am done mixing with logic and then burn to CD, too much bass and and too much high hat.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: