macProVideo.com
Forums
  • R. Ian Davis
    Need advice on AD Converter purchase
    I'm using a mic'd Yamaha CP-5 Stage Piano with Logic. Obviously, I can send midi into the Mac, but I want to be able to send the great CP-5 analog sounds (and my not-so-great vocals) into Logic as well. I think I need an AD Converter (with XLR or 1/4" inputs and a USB or Firewire output). Does anyone have a budget-conscious solution for me? Thanks much. Ian
  • Hamish H
    Re: Need advice on AD Converter pu...
    Hi Ian There are a lot of options out there, for any budget. Its hard to recommend just one, but here's a few ideas to get started, I've heard good things about each of these. Apogee Duet (Rounik's fave) Focusrite Saffire 6 USB TC Electronic Impact Twin Another possibility is a Mackie Onyx 8 channel mixer - it has a firewire connection but also works as a standalone mixer, and you get 8 channels to work with at once, so if you want to hook your keyboard up in stereo and add a mic as well, its all good. It gets more expensive outside of North America though so it depends where you are in the world! There are other cheaper products out there but before you choose anything make sure that the interface is 24 bit, that the preamps are good quality and if possible, try it out before you buy it. If you plan to record other things in the future like guitars and vocals, then make sure you try these out too - I've been stung before by an interface that sounded fine for line level instruments, but could barely pick up a loud vocal through a standard mic! 'Phantom Power' is essential if you want to use a condensor mic, and a Hi-Z input is what you'll need for guitars. Hope thats enough to get you started, come back if you have anymore questions! Cheers Hamish
  • R. Ian Davis
    Hamish... thanks so much for taking the time to reply with such thoughtfulness... You've given me a bunch to think about so I'll chew on it a bit and maybe I'll need to follow up. Thanks again. Ian P.S. I'm in the US, so hopefully that bodes well for pricing...
  • Hamish H
    No problem! It s worth taking your time. Let us know how you get on Cheers Hamish
  • R. Ian Davis
    Okay... Did some research on all of them. The most elegant solution (by quite a bit) seems to be the Apogee Duet. Since my CP-5 Stage Piano has an XLR mic input and an onboard mixer, reverb, etc., I can send a fully mixed stereo keyboard plus vocal mix into the Apogee. Only problem is I won't have three separate channels into Logic... hmmm... I guess I could record vocals and keyboards separately (not a big deal). The cost of the Apogee compared to the others is very high. I could almost get a 12 channel Mackie for the same price (and I already have a fully analog Mackie from sometime in the last century (I got it in the 1970's!! LOL). The size of the Duet is very enticing, though... anyway... I sure like the Apogee... Now... a somewhat fussy (and literal) question. All the literature talks about the great integration between the Apogee and Logic Pro. I use Logic Express which is 95% the same as Logic Pro... but is there the same integration with Apogee? Thanks for your valuable time... Ian
  • Rounik Admin
    The Duet has the same built-in integration with Logic Express and Pro. As much as I love my Duet and it's quality Pre's, if you need more ins and outs then check out the Presonus Firestudio Mobile and Motu Ultralite... But the quality of the preamps on Duet is widely regarded as superior to those above... :)
  • R. Ian Davis
    Thanks Rounik... the Firestudio and Motu look like more than I need... I think I'll try out the Duet. A local store here in Pittsburgh (which also has a big internet presence) is Pianos N Stuff (known on the internet as NStuffMusic.com). Their prices are just as good as MusciansFriend and others. I think they'll let me try one out... Thanks for all your help. Ian
  • Rounik Admin
    Good to know Ian! Let us know how you get on and if you have any other questions at all. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: