macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Dekuruy
    choke cymbal
    Hi all. Seems silly, but I'm having a hard time finding a choke cymbal sound, either in ultrabeat or EX24 samples - can someone point me in the right direction? To be specific, I want the sound of a crash cymbal being struck hard with a drumstick, and then immediately choked. Thanks
  • Dekuruy
    Re: choke cymbal
    Had the idea to put a crash cymbal sound from ultrabeat into a group with, say, any other sound, and then choke it by playing that sound after I play the crash, but that produces an unnatural effect, not like a choke. I'm looking for a true choke cymbal sample that preserves the high ringing overtones that can still be heard just after the cymbal is choked. Any thoughts?
  • Rounik Admin
    hmmm... how about automating the EQ drastically to emulate a choke cymbal effect?
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Rounik! Thank you for your prompt reply ( why does that sound familiar)? Yes, I thought about doing that, and maybe adding some reverb similarly, but I was hoping there would already be a useable sample of that in the stock files of Logic. After all, who can say that they've attended a concert and not seen the drummer choke a crash cymbal at least once during the performance!? Is there an explanation for the omission of such a commonly used drumming technique? I have little about Logic to complain about, but this is something that should really be included in any drum sampling file set. Short of doing what you suggested, or just putting a mic to a cymbal to record me choking a crash, (to load into the EXS 24) is there a place I can go to download a sample? I honestly didn't think I'd have to search for this, or employ plug-ins or effects to emulate this widely used and heard sound. Maybe my expectations were out of line, and I need to just get used to the idea of no choke samples, but............
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Adam! You're right! Choke cymbal samples would be great to have at hand in Logic Studio! Send a feature request to Apple via the Logic menu's Logic feedback link: [url]http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html[/url] I think products like Superior drummer & Steven Slate Drums and the like should have this built-in... but alas you'll need to find some samples for Choke cymbals otherwise... Let me do a little research and see what I can come up with... in fact here's one (free): [url]http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=16262[/url] Let us know if you find any others :) Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Ah, that's it. Just a very simple sample, that's why I was surprised not to find one within Logic. Thanks as always, Rounik, for coming through. I was not aware of the 'freesound' website. There are a few decent choke cymbal samples right there, and it looks like there might be some other interesting stuff as well. My hands are really full this month, so I really appreciate that you were able to find this for me. Thank you!
  • Rounik Admin
    My pleasure! Yup, freesound is a good place to explore! :) R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: