macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Fortsy
    Layering Kick Drums/Frequencies
    I have been searching the internet for several days now on how to properly layer kick drums, and use the high frequency of one and low frequency of the other to make the perfect sound. Unfortunately there is no valuable information out there. my question is twofold; 1. Can you explain how the high, low, and mid frequencies work on logic/where they are found so i can adjust them accordingly (I am fairly new to this program). 2. How do you, or how should you properly layer a kick drum to get a beefier sound? Cheers!
  • Hamish H
    Re: Layering Kick Drums/Frequencie...
    Hi Fortsy 1. On the channel strip for your kick tracks (found in the Inspector section on the left of the arrange page) is a rectangular box with EQ qritten in it. Double click the box to open up the Channel EQ. There are more EQs to choose from, and you can find them by clicking on any empty slot directly under the EQ box. Choose your favourite EQ from the drop down menu. I'd reaaly reccommend getting hold of Logic 101: Core Logic, and watching it in full. You'll understand a whole lot more about Logic from watching and listening to Martin - epecially where to find these essential tools! Check it out. 2. Layering a kick is provbably best done with the Channel EQ. You asked about combining 2 kicks, so you'll need one channel EQ for each, one with a high cut filter - to let the low frequency kick through, and one with a low cut filter, to let the high frequency through. Choose a steep filter slope for each. Its fairly simple once you understand how the EQ works - basicly you want to let though as much of the deep frequencies of the low kick by opening the high cut filter, and close it just before the frequencies of the high kick begin. Likewise, move the low cut filter slope on the other kick around until you're just getting the high frequencies you're after. There should be a small crossover of the two filters so you don't end up with a dip in the frequencies between the two kicks. If none of that makes sense, you'll understand better by doing it! Its always a bit trial and error, and you'll know what sounds best. A couple of things you need to watch out for: Because the two kicks are different samples they may be out of phase. You might have yto get a bit hands on in the sample editor to trim them up so the start points match exactly, and even then you might find you have to choose anoyther kick that goes better. The two kicks might sound great separately but together they might sound rubbish. Also, there might be a better way to achieve boominess using just one kick, mayvbe by using compression and boosting the EQ at about 45 - 60 Hz. You might want to layer the kick with a 'sub' sine wave instead - I can tell you more about this later if thats something you want to try. And what you have to keep in mind is that there are always two instruments hanging out in the bottom end - you need to think about the bass as well! There is no point in filling the whole spectrum under 100 Hz with boomy kick if it means you can't hear the bass. Anyway, take a look at the channel EQ and have a go - if you need help with how the EQ works or what filter slopes are all about, write back! And definitley check out Logic 101 Core Logic. Cheers! Hamish
  • Fortsy
    Thanks for the reply! You cleared everything up, I knew how to find and use the EQ and the high cut filter/low cut filter. I guess you answering my question made me realize that i should be looking for better samples. most of my kick drums blow! if you could explain how to layer a kick with a sub sine wave that would be great. Also, is there anywhere i can find some good 808s/909s etc. cheers
  • Hamish H
    Hi Fortsy I think that Logic already has some really good kick samples - take a look through the EXS24 kits and Ultrabeat too. As for sub bass, find a kick drum sample, and cut some of the lower frequencies out. Then use any of Logic's software instruments to make a pure sine wave at the note of your choice - wahtever sound best with your kick sample. Insert a noise gate onto the sine wave channel, then use the sidechain function with the kick drum sample as the sidechain source. Its easier to understand if you see it, so here's an example I whipped up. I had to delete some of the EXS samples to reduce the file size, so let me know if it doesn't work: [url]http://www.box.net/shared/ric6vc99q8[/url] its not perfect but you get the idea. The side chain needs an audio file in order to work. (I didn't have much time to find the original kick sample, so I just recorded an EXS24 midi region it onto an audio track - I could also have bounced the region in place, with the same result.) With a bit of trial and error you'll soon be able to blow the club speakers up whenever you feel like it, which will make you very popular. I highly recommend you check out OIav Basoski's Logic 404 Mixing Electronica. In fact, this tutorial is essential if you want to make dance music. You will learn more about how to make a kick sound great than I can tell you - check it out! Cheers Hamish
  • Rounik Admin
    Nice tips Hamish! Yeah, I second the Olav Basoski tut on Mixing Electronica! One of my faves: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9404[/url] You can check out his other equally excellent tutorials like his Electronica workflows in Logic, Making Electronic Dane Music in Ableton and Designing Sounds for Dance Music on his Trainer page here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/about/trainers/OlavBasoski[/url] :)
  • Fortsy
    Hamish you are legendary haha, thanks a lot. If i have any other questions i will shoot them over cheers!
  • Fortsy
    ...as well as you Rounik!!
  • Hamish H
    No worries Fortsy! By the way I forgot to mention, once you're happy with the frequency of the sine wave you should bounce it to an audio file - so you can easily move it around the arrangement with the kick. Have fun! Hamish
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: