macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Dekuruy
    Logic 8 and Snow Leopard 10.6.6
    I just updated to 10.6.6 (from 10.5.8) yesterday. Since then, when I open Logic (by clicking the icon in my dock) no project opens, and I just get the 'Open new.....' window where I can select the type of project or template I want to open. So that's fine if I want to start a new project, but I usually don't work that way. I have always had Logic open the most recently open project, and I still do have it set that way in preferences. My Open Recent menu is blank, although I've recently been working on several projects. I can access any project by going into my users' Logic folder. (The Open Recent menu then only shows that one project, though.) So if I do that, and then close the project, I still get the same behavior described above. Any thoughts on how to remedy this? I'm running Logic 8.0.2. I should also mention that I just received Logic 9 from my school. I wanted to stay on Logic 8 until I finish an important project, but maybe switching to 9 will be better? When I install Logic 9 it will only install what I don't already have in Logic 8, correct? (ie. I won't really take up an additional 39 gigs of space on my drive, just any addition space that the application and any other new stuff would require) I'd love it if I could find out the answer to the latter question, as well as a solution to the former, if that's possible. I also have a bunch of questions about purchasing a new MacBook Pro, where should I post that? Thanks to all, as always.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic 8 and Snow Leopard 10.6....
    Hey Adam, Odd issue... Did you create a clone of your system before upgrading to 10.6.6? If not... *wags finger and tuts disapprovingly* ;-) Logic 9's open recent menu works fine. As for the install of Logic 9 if you do install it backup your system first - but never good practice to change OS versions or applications during a big project. It doesn't duplicate content - but will, for example, overwrite all the existing apple loops with the .caf versions and it does NOT delete the Logic 8 application - so you can run Logic 8 or Logic 9. Erm.... you could post Q's about MBP's in the Gear or Mac OS forum... :) Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    I thought those must have been your 'tuts' I heard loud and clear from all the way across the pond! Yes, I'm hereby officially 'exposed'. I do have to admit that the whole 'backup', 'clone', thing always twists my brain a little. For instance, is there a difference between 'backing up' and 'cloning'. If so, what is it? I do generally backup - meaning I copy my projects and important data to an external. I did actually at one point copy everything on my MBP hard drive to the external, and since then have been copying any additional data that I thought was important. Is that the same as 'backing up my system'? You will see that this is really the root of my shortcomings when you see my post in the Mac OS Forum about purchasing a new Mac. This is what I have to do, though, to understand more. I've gotten pretty good at Logic - thanks mostly to you, these forums, and the MPV videos - but I really need to become much more diverse and deep in my overall understanding. These questions are not run of the mill type questions I might ask someone at an Apple Store, for example, (at least I don't think so) so I hope you don't mind. Take care, and many thanks as always. Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    :) No probs... and of course I'm more than happy to rty and explain something coherently if possible... and hopefully it'll help too! Backup - generally a method of copying data to another safe place. e.g. copying your important logic projects or recorded audio, or documents to a CD, DVD or external drive. Clone - Similar to the above but with a major difference... a cloned system drive has exactly the same file structure as the original. So, let's say your Mac's system drive (*i have my fingers crossed*) crashes... or some problem occurs... Plug-in your external drive with the cloned system on it and boot up using the clone. Hey presto it'll work as if you were using the internal system drive. Now, that's all well and good... but manually copying the entire contents of the Mac's system to an external partition doesn't usually result in the "clone" being a proper clone. The reason: Because lots of hidden system files are not copied over :( The solution: Carbon Copy Cloner (free) or Super Duper (cheap). I love CCC and it's a cinch to use. Just select the Source (e.g. Mac HD) and the Target (e.g. My Firewire External drive) and hit Clone/Backup and it'll tell you whether the target drive will be a bootable backup or not. Another option is to use Time Machine to backup your data... You know, it all depends what you want to do. Let me give a real world example of what I usually do: 1. Keep wayyy too much important info on my MBP's internal drive. 2. Manually copy the folders where I keep my important Logic projects, MPV Blog Posts, documents, etc, etc... to my external drive called "Daily Work backups" 3. At the end of every week or before/after important projects or before installing new software or OS updates I'll repair permissions on my system drive and then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my system drive to a different external drive called .. "MBP Mirror". Then if anything goes wrong with my system drive I could boot up using my cloned drive (see System Preferences > Startup Disk) and then erase my MBP's internal drive and clone my backup to my MBP!! Finally, even if this cloned drive was a week old - if I've been good and remembered to backup my important files daily (not always the case!!) then I can copy the important ones back to my internal drive. Again, Time Machine is a great automatic solution... I just don't like using Time Machine when using Logic and still like having some manual control over what's going on under the hood. Check out Toby's blog post on backing up a Logic system here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/logic-pro/backup-logic-system-find[/url] Hope this has made some sense :) Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Thanks for these excellent clarifications, Rounik. Toby's blog was helpful as well. It doesn't cover Backup vs. Clone like you do here, so I thought I'd suggest turning this into a blog post - it reads, in it's present state, very much like one of your blog posts. Do you think others would benefit? Just a thought. Thanks a million as always, friend. Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    hmmmm... not a bad idea... I think Toby covers most everything... but maybe sometime in the future I can do a further exploration of cloning and backing up... Thanks Adam!! Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: