macProVideo.com
Forums
  • logicluvva
    Tempo Fader
    Hullo again. I'd like some tips over the Tempo Fader of the Environment, please. My goal is to flesh out the full drum arrangement and have it at a pretty ' set ' tempo. I then would like to sing over it and record small changes, veering from that tempo here and there.Then do all the relevant audio tracks on top. I have got as far as cabling the tempo fader and it all works but I would like to limit the range (on the default pitchbend setting ) so it only allows a bpm or two each way.To slow it down as well as speed up. How should I do this ? I'm guessing it's in the inspector but I dunno.I would love to learn more about the environment in this way. Thank you again
  • Hamish H
    Re: Tempo Fader
    Hi Logicluvva I'm reading about the tempo fader on page 1038 of the Logic 9 manual. It says the Tempo fader has a range from 50bpm to 177bpm. "External MIDI data can be used to control it, with an input value of 0 resulting in a tempo of 50, and an input value of 127, resulting in a tempo of 177." In the Inspector there is a 'Range' field, which is default set from 0 to 127. 0= 50bpm, 127=177bpm. I'm guessing that if you change either of those two settings, you'll narrow down the range. For example, if your project's basic tempo is 120bpm and you want a variatio of 10bpm either side, set the Range from 60 to 80. Give it a try, and let us know how you get on - if it doesn't work Rounik can definitley help us out! Cheers Hamish
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey guys, Will get to this thread in more detail later tonight or tomorrow... in the meantime does this blog tutorial help? [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/logic-pro/tutorial-realtime-tempo-automation-logics-environment[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • logicluvva
    Thank you both Hamish and Rounik for such quick and considered responses. Plenty there for me to get stuck in with over the next few days.If it works out how I hope, it will be marvellous to apply this to a few songs that I am working on. Definitely has to do with the range like you said, Hamish Cheers ; ) Thanks for the great Blog Rounik, it helps for me to understand a lot quicker than I would have. I will keep playing and get back with what I can.
  • Rounik Admin
    Yup, Hamish was spot on about the range! Let us know how you get on & if you enjoy the Blog post... or want to share something about Tempo faders feel free to leave a comment on the Blog and of course let us know here too :) Rounik
  • logicluvva
    I'm glad that Logic has this facility and that it has got me thinking of that 'live' flow going without having to use the list or Global, except for tweaks. I would ideally like the PitchBend to operate so that it has the base tempo ( the ' set' tempo of the song ) assigned to it's centre position. When bent to the left ( - ) I would like it to slow down by maybe a couple of bpms ( whatever suits ) ...and when bent to the right ( + ) I'd like it to speed up , a couple of bpm , in the same vein. So I'd like to have control over the range of the pitchbend wheel that is linked to the tempo fader. And that it always returns to the centre bpm. I have ' limited ' the range of the tempo fader but I don't know how to do likewise on the pitchbend. I hope that made sense.I like the ' musicality' of this though. Cheers for all the info so far because the environment is a relatively mysterious place to me outside of the arpeggiator ..and macros etc that are available here
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey logicluvva, It's well worth checking out Steve H's TNT 1, 2 and 3 - there's so much environmental goodness in those videos... love it! Anyway, back to your question... This is one way to approach the issue: Let's say you've got the Tempo Fader all set up like I show in the blog tutorial post... next: 1. Create a new transformer in the Clicks and Ports layer. 2. Cable from the "Input Notes" or "Input View" object to the new Transformer object. (We want the MIDI data played from your external MIDI Keyboard to reach this transformer. We'll see why in a minute). 3. Set the range of our Tempo Fader in the Inspector to the range of the tempo you wish to control... e.g. I want to easily vary between 108 to 121 bpm so the range is: 58 71 [img]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/213/screenshot20110112at174.png[/img] 4. remove any cables going INTO the Tempo Fader... 5. Cable from the new Transformer object to the Tempo Fader (remove any existing input cables to this fader). 4. Double-click the new Transformer and set it up like this (Bearing in mind the Input for my Tempo Fader is Control/Ch 1/DB1 7 [img]http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/213/screenshot20110112at174.png[/img] 5. You'll notice that for Data Byte 2 (actual value) I've told Logic to accept all values (0-127) and to use the map. This is a great way to make certain values relate to others... In this example, I used my bad maths skills to figure out that aprox every 1 bpm should equal 10-11 numerical pitch bend values.... so that if I move the Pitch bend between 0-10, I could map these to say a bpm value of 108 (or a MIDI value of 58. Does that make sense? 6. Basically in the Map section you decide to map a value to another value. In this case the first value shows 0. I've mapped this to 58. Once I did that, I clicked on the up arrow next to the first 0 and chose to map "1" to 58 also. I repeated this until I arrived at "11" which I mapped to 59. [img]http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1258/screenshot20110112at175.png[/img] You can drag on the graph area - but be careful. It's a bit fiddly! 7. Once that's done, you've basically mapped the entire range of MIDI values from your pitchbend (0-127) proportionally to a shorter range of values... so pushing your Pitchbend wheel will "smoothly" change the tempo only between 108 to 121. Of course you should set the values that you need and once you become familiar with setting it hopefully won't be too daunting ... especially if you create a few transformers with different values and save as template.... ... though personally, prefer to use a regular knob/fader on my MIDI controller to fine-tune the tempo. Hope this helps and makes sense! Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    btw, you can download an example project file here: [url]http://www.box.net/shared/jz5gkhzanq[/url] :)
  • Hamish H
    Rounik this is genuis!
  • logicluvva
    Rounik....WE are not WORTHY !! i'll spend the next couple of days on this.Thanks for allaying any fears I had. Your scope and clarity is refreshing and you never tire of these intermediate-type questions. Thankfully I can follow all of your well thought out instructions without feeling too' gulp! '. Your tips and style of showing us is always modest, unnecessarily self-deprecating.....you should be GOD of the Forums. Cheers, kind Sir ! You saved me many a time. Bless Ya Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: