macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kejedey
    Logic jumping out of record - Tascam FW-1884
    Logic quite often jumping out of record, or glitching when recording vocals, both through FW-1884 mic ins and SPDIF (Focusright TwinTrak Pro). Some lights remain on on the FW-1884 digital interface sometimes after quiting Logic - does this signify anything? Cheers! Gurner
  • Hamish H
    Re: Logic jumping out of record - ...
    Hi Gurner I'd recommend downloading the latest drivers for each interface. But it looks like the Tascam desk has been discontinued so it might be tricky for this one. Tastcam says the FW-1884 is compatible with Mac OS Leopard 10.5, are you still using 10.5.8? Cheers Hamish
  • Kejedey
    Hi Hamish, Thanks for your suggestions. This is not a new problem, and sadly I have tried those things before without improvement. My OS is 10.6.6 I have just re-downloaded the latest (1.7.0) driver. which is good for Snow Leopard, Tascam say, though my 2010 Macpro quad has to be set at the terminal to operate in 32 bit mode for the desk to work. The TwinTrak is pretty passive and has no drivers (the SPDIF is on the Tascam, so my inputs in Logic are 17 and 18). I record in 44.1, 24 bit, with I/O buffer set at 168 for recording, 256 or higher the rest of the time. Cheers, Gurner
  • Hamish H
    Hi Gurner Sorry to hear that the drivers don't make a difference. with regards to the 'jumping out of record', unfortunately all I have is more questions... 1. are you record arming the tracks through the Tascam? ie does it have transport controls? 2. can the transport controls be bypassed or disabled? 3. does it make a difference if you use Logic's transport controls? 4. have you tried another audio interface? Just some things to consider really. I'm sure you've done a ton of troubleshooting already so forgive me if my questions are too broad ! Hamish
  • Kejedey
    Hi Hamish, The FW-1884 does have transport controls, though I don't usually arm it by them. Normally I use the REC button on the desk, but increasingly I'm using the keys commands on my keyboard. [url]http://www.tascam.de/en/fw-1884.html[/url] I don't think you can disable the transport controls on the desk. I often use Logic's controls, but have not noticed a difference. I did briefly use an M-Audio interface (also FW), once again the results were inconclusive. To be honest, the fact that the fault is intermittent, and that because of other problems (with the new Mac dismounting external HDs at random, and many re-installs, clean install OSX, etc. - also I have been ill recently) - anyway haven't been able to really concentrate on this issue for a while. However the FW-1884 has been back to Tascam, checked and pronounced good. There was a corrupt contrl surfaces prefs file passed across from the old G5 when the new Mac came (Sept 2010), and with that and not knowing I had to boot in 32bit - the desk was half working - and was checked out OK by Tascam. The problem was there with the 2.3ghz Quad G5, on and off since May '06. I eventually thought the core audio was spiking (CPU meter supported this) - and expected the new Macpro would easily cope. Anyway it's been a rocky ride since then, though the suppliers are having the Macpro back (for the third time - with the external HDs now) to try to find the fault with the external HDs (FW) dismounting - an intermittent fault. I installed a Sonnet Allegro FW-400 PCI-e card in the G5, in the hopes of a better bandwidth/stability, and have moved it over to the Macpro. None of the steps so far have yet eliminated the occasional glitches - though I will be doing more testing. Anyway, I'm still hoping to get it all going properly ASAP. Even with all the grief we have done a new track which we are pleased with Thanks Gurner
  • Hamish H
    Hi Gurner Sorry about your desk, but you're right about the track - I checked out your website. Your music sounds really good, and thats what counts! Better to make great music on a desk with a few quirks than make rubbish music on a great desk I say... :) H
  • Kejedey
    Hi Hamish, Cheers for that, a real 'shot in the arm' (vitamins!) [url]http://jahfayahafroreggae.com/[/url]
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: