macProVideo.com
Forums
  • skankster
    controller assignments
    Hi all - 1st post from the noobest noob in noobtown I'm trying to set up M-Audio Axiom 49 as a controller for Logic Express, and - let's just say I used to have more hair. I finally figured out how to set up the sliders, knobs, and buttons - by using the "Controller Assignments" window and the "selected" radio button which allowed me to control the mixer window. But - I almost went crazy trying to figure out how to get the transport functions to work, until I found the "Learn New Assignment" button in the Key Commands editor. Now here's the problem. In all the experimenting around, trying to get the transport buttons to work, somehow I messed up my knobs, sliders, etc. When I went back to the controller assignments window (in Logic Express/Preferences/Control surfaces), now the "Parameter" field only shows a dash *-* when i try to select a function on the mixer (like a volume slider) when I have the "selected" radio button chosen. I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't make it work like it originally did. I'm sure I must have changed some default or something, but even "reset defaults" didn't help. I know this is pretty arcane, but if any of you have been through this, I could sure use some help. Thanks, Skanks
  • mPV Support
    Re: controller assignments
    Hi, Go to Logic Express/Preferences/Control Surfaces/Controller Assignments. It is very important to make sure that the "Learn Mode" button is on. Move a volume slider on the mixer... do you get "Volume in parameter" ? Then, move a slider on your M-Audio Axiom 49 and click "Learn Mode" to turn it off when you're finished. If it's not working, tell me and we'll try to figure out what's wrong.
  • skankster
    Thanks for the reply - Yes. it is exactly as you say - until . . . "Move a volume slider on the mixer... do you get "Volume in parameter" ?" This is the snag - it used to work just like that. Now there is nothing but a dash (*-*) in the parameter box. The channel #, next to the "selectd" radio button, changes like it should as I choose different volume sliders - and the "input message" box reflects the controller I use on the Axiom - but nothing in the parameter box but a dash. btw - "Learn Mode" button is definitely on. Thanks again
  • mPV Support
    Are you moving the slider on the environment's mixer or on the track mixer ? If you're using the environment use the track mixer instead.
  • skankster
    I'm using the track mixer.
  • skankster
    Yo Christian - If you're still out there, you might find this interesting: After trying everything I could think of, I came to the conclusion that I must have corrupted something somewhere. So I decided to build a new user account on my mac and log in fresh (a trick I learned from Apple tech support). Wouldn't you know it - everything works the way it's supposed to. The only problem now is that I can't access files from my other user id. So I guess I'll have to make a big fat "shared" folder, or maybe it would be better to uninstall and reinstall Logic Express on the original user account. Thoughts? Thanks, Skanks
  • skankster
    J-F - Good tip! Plus, it's just the incentive I need to finally get around to installing that hard disk I've been putting off. Thanks, Skanks
  • mPV Support
    Hi Skankster! My internet connection is down for a few days, so I can't check the forum as often as usual. That's good if it works with a new account. Did you try thrashing your Logic preferences in your main account ? They are located in ~/Library/Preferences That could work... I'd give it a try.
  • skankster
    Christian - I tried that - didn't work - dang it!! Are there any pitfalls to uninstalling LE7 and reinstalling. I wouldn't want to lose any songs in progress. Thanks, Skanks
  • skankster
    Christian - Dude!!! I think I got it. I took your advice one step further. I went to the new login and copied the LE7 preferences and pasted them back into the original login (of course I removed the original LE7 preferences first) So far it seems to work fine! Thanks again, Skanks again
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: