macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JeremyV
    A Pro Tools editor on Logic
    Hey, I'm trying to move from Pro Tools to Logic and I find I'm having a lot of problems with key commands. I want to be able to move/fade/nudge/nudge value/cut/and grab audio just like in pro tools. is this possible in Logic? I use my system for film and television as well as music so I'd love to keep everything inside of logic if I could. if anyone has any info or tutorials on moving around in logic like you can in pro tools that'd be swell! Jeremy
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: A Pro Tools editor on Logic
    Hi JeremyV, & Welcome to the macProVideo forums! Logic is quite different in many ways to Pro Tools. Although it's possible to replicate most everything you do in PT in Logic, sometimes the work flow can be different, so I'd really recommend spending a little time to get to know Logic too... The tutorials here are excellent, start with the Logic 101... all the way through the Logic Flex Time Editing and Logic's Music for Picture toolbox. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/logic-application[/url] I'd recommend getting a monthly subscription which gives you access to all videos and tutorials in our library. OK... but back to your questions... Logic's functions are highly customisable... Simply open the Key Commands window: Logic Pro > Preferences > Key Commands (Option-K) and search for a command, e.g. "Nudge". You'll find lots of lots of possible ways to nudge a region/event... To set your own KC to the command: select it then click on "Learn by Key Label". While it is highlighted press down the key combinations you wish to assign to the command. Once assigned unhighlight the "Learn by Key Label". You're done! the same goes for "split"... and "nudge value". I'm not sure what you mean by "grab audio". As for fade hold down Shift-Control and drag over the edge of an audio region to create a quick (non-destructive fade)... or select the region/(s) and in the Region Parameters are in the Inspector you can set the Fade type and the fade value. I'd highly recommend both acquainting yourself with the Core Logic 101 tutorial (you'll find in under tutorials as listed above) and check out the Blog for many workflow tutorials... e.g. the Marquee tool blog tutorial might be helpful: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/logic-pro/5-amazing-ways-logics-marquee-tool[/url] Hope this helps... and do feel free to give more details on your work flow in Pro Tools, so a Logic user like me can suggest alternatives in Logic... :) R
  • JeremyV
    Rounik, thank you! I do have a full subscription and have watched pretty much all of 101. things are very similar yet very different. What I mean by grab audio is that in pro tools you can park your selection tool at the beginning of a region, use keys to move that selection up down left right to other tracks and next or previous regions. When you're at the beginning of a region you want to grab, you can then hold shift and use the same keys that move your selection cursor to create a selection on a specific fade/region/regions etc. it's like using your mouse to select regions but much faster when editing and nudging. As for fades, thank you for the info! but...in film we use very very very specific standards such as: when changing scenes/locations/major perspectives the outgoing background audio needs to have a 2 frame fade out on the cut and the incoming background audio needs to have a 2 frame fade in on the cut. I really can't eyeball or mouse these fades so I'm wondering if there is any really quick way to nudge by frames and fade from cursor to the end of region or beginning of region and the same goes for a crossfade. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will most definitely keep learning. Jeremy
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jeremy, I'd recommend checking out the blog post I linked to about the Marquee tool. This should give you some similar functionality to the PT Selection tool. Also check out Olav's workflow tricks (videos 06, 07, 08) here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic406[/url] Next, open the Key Commands window and search for "Marquee". There's commands there to move the beginning or end of the Marquee selection to the playhead. Also I use left/right arrow to move the end of the Marquee selection area, and Shift-left/right arrow to move the beginning... Fades work differently in Logic. I think this is an area where PT trumps Logic... What you can do is select the audio region and in the Inspector (next to Fade In/Fade Out) is an empty space. Double-click there and enter a value, e.g. 80 seems to be good for a 2 frame fade when frame rate is set to 25fps.... 67 is about 2 frames at 30fps in Logic. So, for example, I would encourage you to set up the following key commands: - Nudge Region/Event position RIGHT by SMPTE frame. - Nudge Region/Event position LEFT by SMPTE frame. Also right click on the "Region Inspector" and choose "Region Inspector Float" which you can move to wherever is more convenient. Now, use the key command to nudge the region as desired by frame, double click on the Inspector float Fade In/Out areas and enter the value and press Enter. Not as quick as PT for this kind of work.... byw, if you want to eye-ball this... you can set a number of different preset zoom levels (look up the recall / save as Zoom in the KC window). This gives you instant zoom to, for example, sample level if needed... Hope this helps somewhat. Let me know if you have any other questions :) Rounik
  • JeremyV
    thanks, all this is excellent. I do have another question. let's say I have hi hat samples hitting every 16th. I don't want a messy session so I usually group 4 bars of 16th hats into one region. I can usually then apply whatever quantization I want to this region and the 16th notes inside the region will follow the quantization. In logic I have not found a way to make this possible. The only way I have found to 'group' items is to make them into a new audio file which then disables the ability to quantize the material as if it were independent. Any idea what I can do here?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jeremy, Ah! Check out Folders in Logic... You can pack folders or take folders... this way you can then still quantize the individual hits within a folder while being able to move/copy the entire folder region as desired. (Videos 98-101 of the Logic 101 tut) Alternatively, and just as impressive, is using the Flex time features. Logic detects the transients and then without splitting the hi-hat samples into separate regions you can quantize them within the region... It's well worth checking out the Flex Editing video by Steve H here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9104[/url] :) Rounik
  • JeremyV
    thanks for all your help, everything works nicely and I'm getting the hang of things....but...my key command set locators by region, doesnt work....even after initializing key commands and re-choosing us keyboard w num pad.....it's frustrating....am I missing something? EDIT: I figured it out....my keyboard doesn't have the = on the num pad.....darn....
  • Rounik Admin
    Glad it's helping! No probs... there are a plethora of key commands, eh! Just remember that you can alter your key commands to suit you! It's not like Pro Tools where you are pretty much stick with the standards... in Logic almost everyone customises some commands at some time in their Logic life ;-) Find what works for you... but get used to the two most essential key commands: 1. Command-S (Save) 2. Option-K (Open Key Commands window) :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: