macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kwackman
    "quantizing Automation" from Dec 08 TNT!
    Hi, When I first watched the TNTs I was fairly new to Logic, so now after some experience I'm going over the old TNTs again, which has been a great way to learn new stuff! Anyway, I'm having a problem understanding part of the Dec 08 video "Quantizing Automation" I can follow it where you open the Event List edit page for the automation, and it all makes sense until you quantize the values to the (in this case) whole note. This is supposed to quantize the nodes. Looking at the result (around 7'33 into the video) in the events list, it seems that at 1.1.1.1 there are many values for the (in this case!) pan automation- so it looks like it isn't quantizing the nodes, but the bits between the nodes too. Is this the case? If so, how does Logic decide which of the many values to give the pan at that moment? In the arrange page it seems to have chosen 35, but the list shows values between 24 and 38 for that beat. I hope I'm explaining this OK!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: "quantizing Automation&qu...
    Hi Kwackman, Not sure I understand exactly (btw the video length is 7:33 in total... but I do this process often when quantizing automation and it works well. For me the nodes are quantized and of course the lines connecting the nodes will be moved or readjusted accordingly... so the lines between the nodes will basically be stretched or shortened. Is that what you are asking? :) R
  • Kwackman
    Re:
    Hi Rounik, Thanks for your reply. Yup, I got the time wrong! Try 05.59 - sorry about that! After quantizing, in the event list, there are 12 events all at the same time, midi channel and control number and info columns. Only the value is different, varying from 29 to 38. Surely only one of these can be the node? I'm probably navel gazing here, or else I'm missing something and soon the penny will drop and I'll be begging you to delete this question! Cheers.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey, Each "event" in the Automation Event list displays the: - Position - Status (e.g. Control/Fader/) - Channel - Number - Value (e.g. a volume value of 127 = +6dB) ... of a node. Try it out select, say, all the volume automation events in the Automation Event List - e.g. 7 events are selected... you should be able to count 7 nodes for volume automation on that selected track. :) R
  • Kwackman
    Re:
    Thanks again for the reply Rounik, Each event is a node- that makes things a bit clearer, ta. I'm just wondering how Logic deals with 11 nodes for pan (on the same channel) at 1.1.1.1 and at least 25 nodes for pan at 3.1.1.1 (see 6'10 in the video) Does it "play" through them all instantly and effectively the last one is the final value? Maybe I should just accept that it DOES work, (as it obviously does!) and ignore what's going on under the bonnet! Thanks again. Kwackman
  • Rounik Admin
    Think of a "node" as simply a point in time where you set the value of the fader/pan pot/value. So - I looked at the video again... and gosh, you're right the Automation Event List shows 11 nodes for pan all on the same Bar!!! That's either a temporary display glitch in Logic or Steve had all his pan nodes close to the Bar and they were all quantized to the nearest bar!! If you try it out it should work fine. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: