macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic
    Logic External Instrument
    I am new to logic have been on it 4 only 2 weeks. I have an external synth (micro korg) that I would like to use with-in logic. I can only get logic to record midi data with it. I cannot get logic to play back the sounds with in the micro korg with the midi data that I have just recorded. What I have tried was I create a new software instrument and then choose external instrument. Then I select these parameters Midi Destination Midi Input notes Input , I have tested 1-4 midi channels (that was all of the options that were available to me under that parameters Volume 0db Please Help , if you know a tutorial that relates to this topic please direct me to it. Thank you everyone for your time Michael Angelo ChicagoHouseDJ.com
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic External Instrument
    Hi Michael Angelo & Welcome to the macProVideo forums! Basically every track type needs a sound source to... create a sound. Now, a Software Instrument track uses "virtual Instruments" as the source - basically a software based synth/instrument in Logic. Your MIDI Keyboard simply plays back the sound source which in this case is generated on your Mac. In order to use the sounds generated by your Micro Korg, you need to create an External MIDI track in Logic. Set the MIDI Channel, etc in the Inspector (column on the left). Also, check out these threads: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=9857&sid=#10476[/url] [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=10465[/url] [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=8421&sid=#8426[/url] Hope this helps - and do let us know if you need any further help! :)
  • Logic
    ok thank you very much i will look @ these right now... I am coming from ableton so i am use to creating an empty midi track then pulling over the external instrument under the instrument tabs to play external synths. Before then i was a reason freak for a few years so my experience with DAW's are not that vast... So thank you 4 the quick replay have a great day Michael A
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem Michael! If you need any more help do let us know. Also you mentioned being interested in a tutorial. If there is one place to start learning Logic, I'd recommend the Logic 9 101: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9101[/url] Though, if you take out a Pro Subscription, then you'll get access to ALL the tutorials here and can watch or dip into any tutorial of your choice! Regardless, let us know if you have any more questions. :) R
  • Logic
    Thank you I have taken out a 3 month subscription i have only about 2 weeks or so left. MacProVideo has amazing content, i went 2 fullsail for 2 years , i have learned more in 2 and a half months here then i did there in 2 years. I got my korg working and playing back sounds via the midi notes that i record. thank you very much, What i was doing wrong was creating a software instrument track and then in the I/O section i would scroll down past the logic synths and choose external instrument. I did not realize that when i create a new track i just pick external instrument ! Thank You ! So I have a few more questions. 1. What does that external instrument do. When you create a new software track, and then where you would put an instrument the I/O i believe you have an option to pick logic synth or a vst in that list it also has external instrument. Why would i need that ? What does it do ? 2. How do i remove a instrument from the I/O section or a efx . I can get it to draw that black line though that is disabling it. But i want to know how to replace it with out creating a new track or deleting the whole track. I have tried clicking while holding control , option , command, etc is there a quick and easy way to do that ? Thanks Again Have a great day Michael Angelo
  • Logic
    One more question please , I want to use some of the effects in Ableton On logic instruments is this possible ? Example Say I am using the ESP synth and i want to use the Ping Pong Delay from Ableton Is there a way to route that via the inspector ? Thanks Much Michael Angelo
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Michel Angelo Will reply in more detail over the weekend... Am away from Logic right now. Could you start a new thread with the Live and Logic Q? That way if anyone searches for a topic they more easily find what they're looking for. Thanks & thanks for the kind words about MPV. It's much appreciated. :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi again... A lot of questions to answer... 1. MIDI Instrument... TBH, I never use it... Here's what the Logic Studio Instruments manual says: "You can use the External Instrument to route external MIDI sound generators through the Logic Pro Mixer, which you can then process with Logic Pro effects." 2. To remove an insert plugin or an instrument plugin from a channel strip, simply click and hold on that plugin slot and from the pop up menu choose "No Plugin". 3. Using a plugin from Logic and apply effects from Live on it... MUCH easier to do this the other way around using Rewire... but in this case it would be a complex method of using a free application like Soundflower by cycling74 and route the audio (in Logic) through the new soundflower output... use that as the input in Live and apply the effect: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/audio/ableton-live&id=2583[/url] Personally, I'd recommend using one of Logic's many delay based plugins that can do a great job. e.g. the Delay Designer is awesome and can produce some amazing tap based delay patterns. Hope that helps R
  • Rounik Admin
    btw, back to Point (2) here's a quick tip: There's no need to continue holding down the left mouse button while navigating plugin or channel strip setting pop-up menus. Try instead: Click-hold and release the left mouse after about a second... the menu still pops up but it's now easier to navigate the menu. Cheers R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: