macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Nitygua
    automation and deleting tracks
    When I delete a track I don't need anymore and in doing so delete the automation data, I find that the automation data on another track deleted. It gets a little frustrating getting everything just right on a track and then all that work is gone when I haven't done anything to that track. It must be a setting I'm unaware of. Thanks in advance, John
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: automation and deleting tracks...
    This could be because of your automation pref settings. Your choices are Always, Ask, and Never. I'll bet you have it set to "Always". Background: Let's say you're comping vocals and you have three tracks with various takes on them. They're all assigned to the same audio channel (e.g., three tracks of Audio 1). Automation written on any one of those tracks will appear on the others as well. This is because automation is not track-specific; it's channel-specific (in this case, Audio 1). With that in mind... with prefs set to "Never": Say you deleted all of the regions on track 2 and 3, leaving regions only on track 1. Automation will not be deleted in the vicinity of the regions. And deleting unused tracks at this point will just eliminate tracks 2 and 3 and nothing more. With the prefs set to "Ask", Logic will ask you to if you want to delete the automation. You answer yes or no. With the prefs set to "Always", deleting regions (or tracks with regions on them) will, depending on a variety of conditions (too many to list), wipe out the automation. Under certain conditions you will be warned first. So check your [b]Prefs > Automation > Move Automation with Regions[/b] preferences for the best setting for you.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, Could you remind me if you're on Logic 9.1.3? What is this "other" track that has automation data deleted when the other is deleted? Thnx R
  • Nitygua
    Hi Rounik, I have the latest version of Logic. I will sometimes record different versions of the same part on different tracks, saving the first one in case I can't outdo it. Then later I'll delete the original track and sometimes other tracks as well that I didn't end up using. Then when I go back to a track that I had done some automation to, all the automation will be gone.
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hi John, I know you replied to Rounik, but I'm pretty sure that the solution lies in how your automation prefs are set, as I described above.
  • Nitygua
    Thanks, Ski. I did check that and the setting was what you thought. I've changed it to "ask."
  • Peter Schwartz
    Cool! I'm 99.999999999999999999% sure that you won't have that problem now. You could also change it to "never" and give that a whirl too. Cheers, =Ski=
  • Nitygua
    Right on, I thought it might be something simple. Thanks again.
  • Rounik Admin
    Ski's the man!! @ John, so I'm assuming these extra tracks were connected to the same channel strip? Thanks R
  • Nitygua
    Hi Rounik, Sorry for the delayed response. I do not believe the different tracks were connected, but I could be wrong. I will experiment on a new project and see what happens now that I've changed the settings and I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks, John
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: