macProVideo.com
Forums
  • NDB-DNB
    Logic 405 - Download the Logic Project now for free!
    For anyone who's purchased or streamed my tutorial "Confessions of a Drum & Bass Producer", the Logic project files (including all audio files in mp3 format) for the track featured in the tutorial, "Daydreamer", are now available for download. After logging in, just head over to the tutorial's page [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic405[/url] and click on the link "Download the Logic Project Archive". The zipped package is self-contained, so it should open without a hitch. Any questions/comments/criticisms, please post here, I'll try to answer best I can. Thanks! Nigel
  • Vivisuy
    Re: Logic 405 - Download the Logic...
    I tried to open Daydreamer in Logic 8 and got a message stating that Logic can't recognize 8 bit files. Rob
  • NDB-DNB
    Hi Rob, Apologies, I should have mentioned this is a Logic 9 project. You *should* be able to open Logic 9 files in Logic 8, but you will get a warning error message before opening that the file was created in a newer version. Did you get any other error messages? Which version of OS X are you on? I don't have a Logic 8 setup, but I'll see if I can cobble something together to try this out with. Thanks, Nigel
  • Vivisuy
    I get a message that says "Oasys-gtr#37.mp3 is in 8 bit format and can't be used". I then click cancel and Logic tries to load the next & then the rest of the many audio files but gives the same message for each file name. I am using a Mac Pro 8 core Intel 2.26 Ghz. OS 10.6.5. And Logic 8. I'm not familiar with logic 9. Also I get a message that says logic can't find the EXS24 Daydreamer Loopcutz instrument. But I see it right there in the bin. Logic Also says that this session was created by a newer version of Logic and may cause problems. I think the problem is the MP3 format? (Logic 8.0.2) By the way, I really enjoyed your tutorial. Looking forward to another. Rob
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Rob, I also haven't got a copy of Logic 8 to try this out on... but, I believe Logic 9 deals with mp3's in a different way than Logic 8 used to... and this could be part of the problem. Can you open the mp3's in QuickTime Pro/Player?... or even Soundtrack Pro or Compressor? btw, I also got the error message that "logic can't find the EXS24 Daydreamer Loopcutz instrument" - but it doesn't appear to be important for this version of the project. Thanks Rounik
  • Vivisuy
    Rounik, I am able to open the individual audio files in QT. I didn't think the EXS instrument was relevant either, But I would love to open the project and find out. I'm guessing the MP3 file format was used to make it easier to share? Rob
  • NDB-DNB
    The EXS instrument isn't needed, since everything was converted to audio files. It's still in the Sampler Instruments folder though, if you want to play around with the MIDI tracks (which are currently hidden in the project). You're right, I converted all the audio files to MP3 to keep the file size as small as possible. The original, uncompressed package was 1.4Gb! Not sure if this would work the same in Logic 8, but one possible fix would be to locate all the audio files once the project is open. Skip through all the errors until the project opens, then open the bin and double-click on each audio file in turn. Logic will then ask if you want to locate it. Tedious, I know, since there's 38 files in all, but you'd only have to do it once. Of course this won't help if Logic 8 is having problems with the file format, but it's worth a try. Thanks Rob, I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorial! -Nigel
  • Vivisuy
    Nigel, After I did a manual locate on the first file, Logic found all the others but still put up the "can't use this format" message for each file. I wish that I could do a batch convert somehow. I'd like to bounce the song and put it on my iPhone. Rob
  • NDB-DNB
    You can do a batch convert in iTunes. Drag and drop all the audio files into iTunes, and select Create AIFF Version in the Advanced menu (you may have to select AIFF in iTunes Import Settings prefs first). Then, just drag the newly-created AIFFs back to the Audio folder in the project, and go through the manual locate process again. You can also grab the complete song for free, in AIFF format, from my SoundCloud page: [url]http://soundcloud.com/release-dnb[/url] Thanks, Nigel
  • Vivisuy
    Nigel, Worked like a charm! I did a batch convert in iTunes, then draggged the new files to the audio folder in the project. I then had to click through all the steps to add each file. Then Logic created an overview of each file. Now the project plays just like it does in the tutorial! WOW, I am really impressed with the quality of the mix. It sounds loud and huge (compared to ALL my projects) What are some of the key factors that hobbyists like me neglect in the mixing process? What key areas in this session should I really focus on learning? What frequency ranges are the most critical? What was your break-through in the learning process in terms of mixing? What would most hobbyists typically do to hamper the the sound quality of THIS mix? Sorry about all the questions but I am just really impressed with your results. Thank you again for your help and professional advice in the tutorial. Rob
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: