macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Steff
    several questions
    Hi everybody, Today I've written down all the things I tried to do and couldn't. And now I'm asking for your help! I thought it was better than opening four posts ;-) There are things I could do long ago with Logic ... euh... I started with 4.8!! 1 Like changing the grid division in the piano roll editor. I feel stupid that I can't do that anymore. 2 Nudge midi events in the piano roll by next quantize value, if different from the grid since I can't change it, or could be useful when using froove template. There is everything in the Key Commands but this one ?!?! 3 I can save a song as a project with all my esx samples and prog. But the thing is I don't use exs. I use Kontakt. Can I do that with other software instruments? If I want to go to a studio with my song but without my 200 pounds hard drives? 4 When I want to copy automations, (now I got it. I open automation event window, then another arrange window), but my new arrange window is a mess: the tracks don't have the same names, there is not the same number of tracks. It is really confusing. Thanks for your kindness helping me out. Stéphane PS I lost some time looking for the answers to those questions, but I also composed a nice tune today ;-)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: several questions
    Hi Steff, I'll try and answer these questions as best I can... 1. The grid/division value for the Arrange and the Piano Roll can be adjusted using the "division" setting in Logic's Transport: [img]http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/9113/division.png[/img] 2. You can set the nudge value to tick, sample, beat, bar, etc... or to Division and then set the Division using method 1. above. Then use the "Nudge ... by Nudge value" key command. 3. Not easily that I know of... EXS24 is built-in to Logic and the samples and instruments are kept in a certain location on your HD... this may or may not be the case with all 3rd party samplers! A possible solution is to either bounce the track in place to audio for when you go to a studio... or use a portable hard drive as your "travel/studio" drive. 4. Glad to know you found the answer... though have you seen Steve H's covered copying automation indepth in a section of his Logic TNT2 series... Basically: 1. Select the region and open the Automation Event List (only possible using a Key command) 2. Now press CMD-1 (or Window > Arrange window) to open An Automation Arrange window (you'll notice that the newly opened Arrange window's has "Automation" in it's title. 3. Moving and copying the regions in this Automation Arrange window will move and copy the automation itself between tracks. You can always check this out in the "real" Arrange window. Hope this helps R
  • Steff
    Sure that helps. Thanks Rounik
  • Peter Schwartz
    To expound on what Rounik said, you can't export 3rd party samples (such as Kontakt) as you can EXS-24 stuff. FWIW, in this day and age I can't imagine that hard drives are so big and heavy that they can't be easily transported. In case you're working with older drives (which were big and heavy) I'd suggest that you get a new large-capacity, small-footprint FW drive and make copies of your sample libraries on those drives. Then, as long as your laptop is authorized with those plugins (e.g., Kontakt) you should have no problem making your system portable. Time is money, as they say. So for the $150 (+/-) that it would cost for a large-capacity external hard drive you save yourself the hassle of having to print (i.e., commit) to tracks played from Kontakt and other 3rd party plugins. And in the process you make your rig "permanently portable".
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: