macProVideo.com
Forums
  • llear
    CAF vs AIFF vs WAVE
    Hello. I have always used AIFF, WAVE or SDll for audio format. I am working on a large project which most likely will not make past mp3 and the web (no mastering house). I will be sharing references files with my Logic buddy in new york. If I record in CAF is it a nonissue as I will bounce before uploading? Also if at a later date I decide to mix for a real mastering house will recording in CAF effect the quality. Thanks in advance.
  • Bj
    Re: CAF vs AIFF vs WAVE
    Hi llear, CAF is now Logics Native Format. Quote: " If I record in CAF is it a nonissue as I will bounce before uploading ? " Correct... When you Bounce you can easily Select which format to Bounce to. I have noticed no depreciable difference between the sound quality of CAF/WAV/AIFF. Hope this Helps, Cheers
  • Rounik Admin
    To add to what Bj has already said... CAF may well be the future audio format on the Mac. It doesn't have the 2GB file size limitation that Aiffs and standard Wave files have. However, it's not as widely accepted as Wave or even Aiff files just yet... :)
  • llear
    Thank you. That makes perfect sense. CAF it is...
  • llear
    Thank you. Makes sense. I will track in CAF and bounce to AIFF or WAVE. Thanks again.
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs! Let us know if you need any help or have any Qs! :)
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hey Guys, Is CAF a type of "raw" PCM file (like aiffs and wavs are) or is it in any way compressed (even if it's a type of "lossless" file)? Thanks.
  • Bj
    Hi Ski, Found this Explanation... "CAF is Core Audio Format that is a file format for storing audio, developed by Apple Computer. The CAF file can store audio data as well as text annotations, markers, channel layouts, and other information. Similar to the QuickTime MOV file format. CAF file can contain many different audio formats, metadata tracks, and more. Not limited to 4 GB file size, a single CAF file can theoretically hold hundreds of years of audio. Core Audio Format is designed to overcome limitations of older digital audio formats, including AIFF and WAV." For more details see this Link: http://www.myformatfactory.com/CAF Doesn't directly answer the points in your question, but it's a start... Cheers, Bj
  • Peter Schwartz
    Bj, thanks so much for that info and linky! BTW, are you the same Bj (but perhaps of a different spelling) that I know from the Apple/Logic forum and Logic Pro Help?
  • Bj
    Hi Ski, Re the Info and Link... you are most Welcome. Re the name... no, not related to the other BJs. Cheers :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: