macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kixykua
    lock midi keyboard controller to channel
    Does anyone know of a way to "force" a keyboard controller to always stay on a particular channel with record monitoring on? Today when my singer comes in she will laying down vocals to a song that has 50 channels +. A combination of midi regions and audio regions. I will be darting around in the arrange window and the mixer window while we record. Of course when i do this it takes the record monitor focus off of my Pianoteq pluggin. I really need to be able to reach over and play her a melody quite often while she is recording. Whenever i want to do this my keyboard is NEVER on my piano channel. Any ideas to make it stay on that pianoteq channel and always be in record monitor mode?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: lock midi keyboard controller ...
    Hi Spinner, It's not easy... there are a couple of ways: 1. Don't click on the track headers (in the Arrange of the Mixer). In the Mixer you can click on the Inserts, instruments, I/O section, pan and level and mute and solo buttons of any channel strip without selecting it. Therefore the "Pianoteq" channel will always be selected. (Clicking on regions in the Arrange will NOT toggle off the Record ready status of a Software Instrument or Audio track). 2. If you MUST select another track header then click on the "Record Ready" button of the track header... but this can get messy and time-consuming. I'd say go with option (1.) and make sure you record-ready / record arm the audio track first and then the Software Instrument track and then hit "Record"... Hope this helps, Rounik
  • Peter Schwartz
    You can accomplish this by running a cable in your environment from where your keyboard's MIDI comes in to Logic directly to the instrument you need to play. This will not allow you to record the piano, but you can at least play it at all times, regardless of what track is selected in the arrange page. If you want to record your piano parts as well as be able to play them at all times, well, that'll take a different approach. A few questions for you... 1) what keyboard controller are you using? 2) do you know how to change the controller's Transmit Channel between, say, 1 and 2? 3) do you have any programmable buttons or switches on your controller that you're not currently using for something else? 4) do you have any experience tinkering around in the Environment? Upon receiving answers to those questions I can offer you some suggestions.
  • Kixykua
    Thanks Ski, I have an Ensoniq TS-12 going into Motu Microlite. I have a couple buttons i may be able to assign. haven't tried it but i bet i could. Yeah, i can make my way around in Environment a tiny bit. I've got your direct connection working for my keyboard but of course i can't record what i'm playing...
  • Peter Schwartz
    OK, thanks for the info. It's impossible to get Logic to record to a track unless that track is "in record" (red (R) illuminated) AND you have MIDI data flowing into the Sequencer Input (in the Clicks & Ports layer). This limitation is what's making it difficult to have a smooth workflow in Logic. So here's my proposed workflow to try and overcome this... 1) You change the Transmit Channel of your TS-12 to channel 2 when you want quick access to the piano sound without having to hunt for the piano track and put it in record. How this would work is explained below. 2) When you want to actually record the piano, you'll have no choice but to do two things: a) switch your TS-12 to channel 1 b) find the piano track and put it into record Now for the explanations... See the screenshot for reference... The reason you would change the Transmit Channel to ch. 2 is so that a simple environment processor (called a Channel Splitter) would route MIDI on channel 2 directly to the instrument. But when you're transmitting on channel 1 it would route MIDI to the Sequencer Input (which, as I mentioned above, all incoming MIDI data has to hit in order to be recorded on a track). The screenshot shows how to set this up. The only thing not shown is how you'd cable the ch. 2 output of the Channel Splitter directly to the instrument. The easiest way to accomplish this is to open two Environment windows. Turn off the purple link buttons on both. Have one window show the Clicks & Ports layer, and have the other show your Mixer layer. Once you've brought the instrument into view in the Mixer layer window, select the other window and drag a cable from the Channel Splitter's #2 output directly to the instrument. [img]http://www.score2picture.com/MPV/ts12.jpg[/img] There are other ways to make this happen as well. But no matter what scheme is used, in all cases you're going to have to hunt down and record-enable the piano track in order to record it. There are other ways to make this happen as well. But no matter what scheme is used, in all cases you're going to have to hunt down and record-enable the piano track in order to record it.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Spinner, How did you get on with Ski's solution? Just wondering if it helped... :)
  • Kixykua
    Rounik, yeah, finally got a chance to get that set up. Out with the flu for a solid week! SKI, Thanks! That solution with the (gulp) Environment really worked. I've been whipping all around a song tuning and editing and i always have my piano for pitch and chord reference. Perfect! When i need to record i naturally go to the respective track in the arrange page. Just need to remember to change my midi channel on the Ensoniq. Simple. I must admit the Environment is a bit "dry" and doesn't feel intuitive but seems to get the job done. I struggled with the cables snapping and being exact enough to grab the correct cable out of the splitter to the instrument. Thanks again!
  • Peter Schwartz
    You're welcome! Yes, I agree, the environment is "dry"... dry as a piece of petrified wood!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: