macProVideo.com
Forums
  • globalsmith
    transposing track
    Hi I'm using Logic Pro 8 and want to transpose down an entire song (except main vox!). I understand how to use Time and Pitch machine to transpose an audio region, but it seems to leave a lot of little noises (artifacts?) every time I try it, whether I do just one audio region or an entire track. Is there a way to avoid these unnatural sounds? Thanks
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: transposing track
    When it comes to transposing audio you can't expect perfection. The best you can do is select an algorithm that gives you the "least worst" result. Trial and error is the only way to determine that. And the nature of the audio itself has a lot to do with how well any pitch-change algorithm works. So it's possible that you'd have to use a different algorithm for different tracks. Then, of course, there's the problem of a lot of pitch-transposed tracks lining up correctly after processing, as pitch tranposition has to either make up or delete samples to create the pitch change. How many tracks are you trying to transpose, and how much do you want to transpose them?
  • Rounik Admin
    To add to what Ski has already expertly pointed out, Logic 9 comes with a feature called Vari-Speed which can speed up/slow down an entire project. Flex time can also provide some decent results, especially because you can adjust the transients for each audio file in Logic. However, same rules apply. If you try altering tempo by a large amount you're going to come across more artefacts... and of course it all depends on the material you're working on. Another option for Logic 8 is to convert all your tracks into Apple Loops and try changing the project tempo. :)
  • globalsmith
    Thanks for that info. There are about 14 audio tracks (no midi), all acoustic instruments. I want to lower the song 300 cents if possible. I suppose I just have to experiment to find the tolerable limits of how much I can change without ruining the sound? Basically, the original recording is too high to suit the vocalist's range and I hope to avoid the trouble of bringing all the session artists back into the studio... Thanks! I don't want to change the temp
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi globalsmith, Sorry. I misread your post... of course you just want to transpose... Have you tried using the Pitch Shifter II plugin on any of the tracks? You can insert it as an Insert plugin on a track and then set the Mix to 100% and set the Semi Tones / Cents as desired. Click on the disclosure arrow in the bottom left for more options. This works in real-time and is not destructive like the Pitch N Time Machine in the Sample Editor. You might also want to check out Melodyne and Auto Tune which have much better algorithms for pitch shifting audio. Hope this helps Rounik
  • Peter Schwartz
    I'd like to suggest an alternative and easier method... Mix down your track with the existing vocal so that you can get a good mix. Print a "TV track" (that is, a 2-mix without the vocal). Then work on pitch-shifting down just the TV track. Experiment with different Pitch/Time algorithms (or what Rounik suggested about using varispeed) until you get the best result. Record your new vocalist against that. If you don't get a good result, then you might want to try alternatives to Pitch/Time machine. There are a number of 3rd party plugins you could try, including Melodyne. Or, considering trying to pitch down your tracks (either separately or as a TV track) on another platform like ProTools.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: