macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Stringman66
    Editing iMovie tracks in Logic Express 9
    I'm pretty new to Logic Express but have been working for a little while with iMovie. Not sure to post this question under iMovie or Logic but here it goes.. I just started recording instructional videos in iMovie with a lavalier mic going into one input on my Apogee Duet and a direct out guitar signal from my amp and into the second Duet input. When recording directly in iMovie the lavalier mic is in the left channel and the guitar in the right channel. This is annoying for people listening to the lesson on an iPod or headphones. Since there doesn't appear to be a way to fix this in iMovie I tried opening the movie in Logic Express. Clicking on the mono/stereo icon below the input channel strip and output strip I can get the sound equally distributed between L and R sides when I switch it to mono. Exporting the edited movie from Logic is my real problem since when I try to export the file it's way too large. (around 2 GB!) I have a maximum file size of around 600 MB that I'm allowed to use for the videos. Any ideas on how best to edit the audio file and export? I usually use Mobile Me to share the file. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Editing iMovie tracks in Logic Express 9
    Hi Stringman66 Welcome to the MPV forums! It sounds like you've got the hang of switching track format... You can also duplicate the audio track and set the 1st track to Left and 2nd track to Right and then place a Gain plugin on both tracks. In the Gin plugin you can make each track mono and leave the Stereo Output as... stereo. Anyway, back to your question... what size is the video when you import it into Logic? What video format do you normally share your videos? I would import the corrected audio version of the video back into iMovie (or QuickTime Pro - if you have it) and then export it in the format you need to. Hope this helps Rounik
  • Stringman66
    Thank you for your quick response. Since I'm so new to Logic Express I don't even know how to duplicate the audio track and set the 1st track to Left and 2nd track to Right and then place a Gain plugin on both tracks. My video format I use to share is a MPEG 4. Would it be advantageous to do as you suggest rather than just switching those channel strips to mono? Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Stringman66 OK. Sure just switch the channel strips to mono by clicking on the format button at the bottom of the channel strip. (If you click-hold on it you'll see more options!) But anyway, that's fine. So now you can export your movie and drag the exported file back into iMovie and export it as desired... or personally, I'd just render the audio only from Logic (File > Bounce...) and add that to your iMovie project and then export the movie in the format of your choice - should be as large as the video file you originally imported into Logic... all depends on your sharing options in iMovie. HTH Rounik
  • Stringman66
    That's very helpful thanks, I'll give it a try tonight.
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs! Hope it's worked out :)
  • Stringman66
    Yes thanks it worked just fine.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: