macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JamieInNC
    Re: General Music Theory Question
    Another point that might help you in a general sense is the fact that over the centuries, many composers discovered that large movements in the bass line, like a 4th or 5th, accompanied by smaller movements in the chords above, like whole and half-steps, led to much better sounding chord progressions. This is called "voice leading." You might want to pick up a introductory theory book or perhaps take a fundamentals class at your local community college for further study. I say this because the possibilities are really endless if you know a few very basic "rules," for lack of a better term. Maybe "guidelines" is a better term. I've been teaching music theory and piano at the college level for about 6 years now, so feel free to ask anything and I'll try to help as much as I can. Lots of good suggestions have already been made! Try this... C major chord, then the chord Bb-D-F-G#, followed by 'a' minor or even better A-major. That middle chord is an "Italian Sixth" in Beethoven's language, yet very colorful...even jazzy. The best way to get around with chords is to keep one or two notes in COMMON and move only one to an adjacent note somewhere. Jamie
  • Dixiviu
    Re: General Music Theory Question
    Thanks agagag. & JamieInNC! Very nice of all of you that has responded to this thread :) Best/Chord123
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: