macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Webern
    Core Logic 101 Key Commands Different than mine
    I am using a new copy of Logic Pro 9 and the key commands in the Core Logic 101 tutorials do not match those in my Logic install. I'm pretty sure that my install is default, and my key commands match those of the installs at the Apple Store. For example, in #11 Zoom Key Commands the instructor says that Control + Arrow will zoom. On my Logic settings the correct combination os Control + Option + Arrow. Another example, in #14 Looking At Samples, the instructor says that the zero key on the number pad (extended keyboard) will return the playhead to the beginning when in the arrange window. This does not work for me. I cannot continue with the tutorials if all of my key commands are going to be different than those in the tutorial. Please help! Thank you.
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: Core Logic 101 Key Commands Different than mine
    What computer are you working on? Laptop or desktop? Here's the reason for the question: there are key command sets that are default for laptops and desktop, so you might be working with the wrong default. Easiest thing for you to try is to change the key commands to one of the other sets and try to find one that matches. OPT+K (hopefully LOL!) opens your key commands window. If that doesn't work then just open the key commands from the regular menu item. Once you're in, select one of the other sets from the menu in that window.
  • Rounik Admin
    Further to Ski's advice... there were some changes to some overall key commands in updates to Logic... one of those was switching from using Command-arrows for zooming to: Option-Command-arrows for zooming. This was to prevent any conflict with the default key commands used by Spaces in OSX. There should be a text box overlay in that video to explain it... Alternatively, you can jump to video 109 to see just how flexible Logic is and how you can change virtually ANY keyboard shortcut in Logic to suit your needs. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Peter Schwartz
    Further to Rounik's advice... [b]...you can change virtually ANY keyboard shortcut in Logic to suit your needs[/b] I understand you're just starting to learn, but it's never to early to start assigning your own keys to commands that may make more sense or be more convenient to use.
  • Rounik Admin
    Further to Ski's advice... ... oh darn it... I've got nothing more to add except I completely agree with Ski :) Oh, and to return the playhead to the beginning of the Project do let us know which keyboard/Mac you are using and the country you are in... or do a search in the Key Commands window. Best Rounik
  • Peter Schwartz
    LOL!
  • Webern
    Thank you everyone. The machine is a (new) Mac Mini. The mac-keyboard and os are US English. I just changed the key commands -> options -> presets to "U.S. with Numeric Keypad" and it did appear that a lot of the assignments changed when I did this, but I'm not certain. (Because I had customized one key command, I couldn't tell what it was set to before I selected U.S. with Numeric just now. I could have sworn that I chose U.S. with Numeric when I installed Logic, but maybe not). I'll report back as to whether or not this change made me more compatible with the tutorials. The change in Zoom shortcuts to avoid conflict with Mac-OS-spaces does make sense. I can tell Logic is a program where fluency in key commands is very important to efficiency, so I want to learn them from the start. Thanks again.
  • Rounik Admin
    Glad it's helped Webem! Logic isn't like Pro Tools, where there is one set of KC's which everyone knows... it's extremely unusual to find everyone using the same KCs in Logic - aside from a few standard one's that can't be changed... but that's the beauty of Logic - it's extreme flexibility and the way it can be customised to suit your particular workflow... Enjoy the journey and by all means use these forums to chat about Logic, ask Questions, post observations etc.... and check out the blog where there are loads of excellent written Logic tutorials too :) [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/[/url] Thanks :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: