macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Peter Schwartz
    Submit Your Score Editor Blog Article Ideas Here
    Hi Everyone, I'd be interested in hearing your ideas for blog articles having to do with the score editor. I've posted a few already, one on adding special symbols to the score editor: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/logic-pro/adding-missing-symbols-logics-score-editor[/url] ...and one on lyric entry: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/logic-pro/logic-tutorial-lyric-entry-logic-pros-score-editor[/url] In fact, the one on lyric entry was inspired by a forum member's post asking for help with lyric entry. And even though I'm a dyed-in-the-wool score editor user and not usually at a loss to come up with score editor-related subjects -- especially with Rounik's prodding and nagging to produce! produce! produce! -- (j/k) I'd be glad to entertain [b]YOUR[/b] ideas for other score editor-related blog articles. Regards to All, Ski
  • VanDyck
    Re: Submit Your Score Editor Blog Article Ideas Here
    Hello, How about covering Staff Styles in Logic for orchestral instruments. I'm interested in doing MIDI mockups as a learning tool before creating my own orchestral style music. Hey, what about doing series on how to do MIDI mock ups? Seriously. I would enjoy that. Cheers.
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hi Wally, Thanks SO much for your reply! I was growing cobwebs waiting for one... LOL! I think your idea of covering Staff Styles is great. BTW, when you're referring to orchestral instruments, how big of an ensemble might you have in mind? And the MIDI Mockup idea is another good one. Thanks for the suggestions! Will keep them in mind for sure when I start penning new articles later this month. Cheers! =Ski=
  • VanDyck
    Hi Ski, Thank you for considering my recommendations. Regarding the the size of an ensemble, I'm thinking of anything from a string quartet to a small to medium size orchestra with strings, brass, winds, and percussion. A few months ago I set up a Logic template for strings with each track assigned it's respective staff style (treble for violin, viola, violincello, and bass) so that when my MIDI guitar controller was in the correct octave, recorded notes would appear as expected for a given instrument in it's proper notation. That's as far as I got. I'm at home with MIDI and can read treble and bass clef notation. The issues or questions I have are: 1. Setting staff styles for brass and woodwinds. 2. It's one thing to create a piece of music in MIDI track by track, setting up the score after the fact. 3. It challenging to deal with the various alto clefs when working on a MIDI mock up of a small portions of a classical score via step input. I'm really excited that you are starting the Score Editor blog. Cheers, Wally
  • Peter Schwartz
    Great, thanks for your reply! As before, I'll definitely keep your criteria in mind as I think about the article. I think it's particularly cool that you're doing this using a guitar controller. Ah, technology! Meanwhile, I hear you about alto clef. Three links for you: Free Alto Clef Flash Cards: [url]http://www.makingmusicfun.net/htm/f_printit_lesson_resources/flash-cards-vc.htm[/url] $1.95 (almost free) Alto Clef Flash Cards: [url]http://asaphmusic.com/description.asp?item=SOA-FC-AVCN[/url] ...and... Online (and free) Alto Clef training exercise: [url]http://www.theviolincase.com/flashcards/alto/index.shtml[/url] I bought the $1.95 cards a while ago. I printed them out, cut them out, and put them in my wallet. Whenever I had a minute, i.e., stuck in traffic, standing in line at the bank, etc. I'd pull out a card at random and try to recognize the note name without counting lines. It took a while, but I finally got comfortable with it and now I can look at a score and not go 'OK, wait, the middle line is "C" but it looks like a "B" in the treble clef or a "D" in the bass clef...' So in short, I think it's really well-worth the effort to learn alto clef. Take your time and eventually it'll sink in. Again, thanks for your reply and ideas! =Ski=
  • VanDyck
    Thanks for supplying those links!!! Exactly what I need. Cheers.
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hi Wally, I'm currently finishing up an article on the Score Sets feature. Should cover a bunch of what you requested, and there's always the possibility of additional, follow-up articles in the future. We'll post a link here when it's up and running. Cheers! Ski
  • VanDyck
    Hi Ski, The "heads up' is much appreciated. I'll be on the look out for the link to your article. Best, Wally
  • Peter Schwartz
    It's up! It's a Score Sets Primer, with at least one (if not two) additional follow-up articles planned. Here's the link: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/logic-pro/logic-pro-tutorial-score-sets-primer[/url]
  • VanDyck
    Hi Ski, Thank you for taking the time to write lucid article on Score Sets. I learned a bunch of very useful tips in the process of understanding just how easy they are to set up. I got a chuckle out of the description of your work flow and resulting "arrangement" of tracks in the Arrange window. I went through a phase of creating detailed templates only to delete some of what was there, and adding what wasn't. At this point, I start off with a "blank template" that features a small number of densely set up screen sets, and custom Transform presets. In order for me to produce a "rearrangement" of all tracks, I had to open the Score Sets editor, then cut and paste tracks in a different order. Is that what you did? I'm very much looking forward to what's next. Best regards, Wally
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: