macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cefnfaes
    Why would I want to use Vienna Ensemble Pro ?
    Many manufacturers of excellent instrument plugins, such as Ivory Grand Pianos and Vienna Symphonic Library, have not yet converted to 64 bit audio, which, as Steve H has ably demonstrated in his videos, is a fantastic advance in Logic 9, allowing the use of a hugely increased amount of RAM, with all its advantages. However, vsl have released Vienna Ensemble, and, for some extra money, Vienna Ensemble Pro (VEP). This, if I understand it correctly, allows the simultaneous use of 32 bit and 64 bit applications. Am I perhaps also right in saying that it enables vsl to operate in 64 bit mode ? My vagueness here stems from a general ignorance of things technical, but also from my perusal of a vsl web-site and set of tutorials, which I find very difficult to follow, even though they have improved them a good deal recently. They do respond with commendable speed to any question emailed to them, always very helpfully,but it seems unfair to bombard them too often with so many basic questions! I love the Vienna Symphonic Library (vsl) - it's just amazing, even in the Special Edition and Special Edition Plus, which is the level I use - but though they have improved their web site and documentation recently, there is still a desperate need (which has been voiced by vsl users for some time) for a really good set of tutorials of the sort that I have seen from you, Rounik, for example. So I would welcome any snippets of information and advice which you, or others, feel like giving. I'm sure many other aspiring composers would be similarly interested. I suppose my basic question is given in the heading to this submission. "Why would I need VE or VEP ?" Best wishes Cefnfaes
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: Why would I want to use Vienna Ensemble Pro ?
    There are several reasons why VEP is pretty darn cool, but here's an example: You're writing a bunch of charts for big band. In VEP you've got saxes, bones, trumpets, etc. all loaded up. And maybe some of those sampled instruments are pretty darn big too, say, 1 GB just for trumpets and all the different articulations for it. And -- here's the biggie -- you're using [b]all[/b] the same sounds for each one of your charts. Now... Because you're accessing those sounds via instances of VEP in Logic, your Logic projects don't actually contain any references to samples. They only contain references to the VEP instances. So the samples live in VEP, and your Logic projects literally contain only notes and VEP plugins. So when you switch from one arrangement to another, you don't have to wait for samples to load for each project because the samples are already loaded up in VEP! So, in short, using VEP to load up sample libraries allows you to create a "palette" of sounds that you're going to consistently use from one song/arrangement to the next on a particular gig. Could be an arranging gig, or a film score gig where you're using a consistent palette of sounds. But not having to constantly wait for tons of samples to load when switching between Logic projects can be a huge... no, HUGE time saving. The other beauty of VEP is that you can run VST plugins, which Logic cannot natively do. So now the floodgates are open for you to buy VST plugs that you want and play them from Logic via VEP.
  • Cefnfaes
    Hello Ski- a very interesting and persuasive opening argument. Thank you. Cefnfaes
  • Peter Schwartz
    You're welcome! Actually, I can't think of two betterer reasons to use VEP. But if I do, I'll post back with more. Cheers! =Ski=
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: