macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Pik
    Out of phase vocal
    I've watched Steve H's mastering video till I'm going blind. I sent out a tune to be mastered and the comment came back the vocal has some sort of stereo spread which is mostly out of phase. I have a double monitor set and one side is the compressor, multimeter, gain control, stereo spread, direction mixer and I've duplicated Steve's video exactly with placement of the plug ins. Only problem when Steve adjusts the gain or inverts the phase, the problem is solved. When I do it, nothing happens. the correlation meter stays maybe 2/3 to the right and as the vocal trails off it crosses the line into the red. I'm trying to look through all the logic tutorials to see if I can find out why I'm having the phase issue. Any ideas or possible solutions?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Out of phase vocal
    Hi dreams in the high desert, Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you haven't placed the multimeter at the end of the effects chain for yout vocals? If you do this you can see more easily whether it's out of phase. Think of the Multimeter as your way of seeing, analysing the audio signal. Also noticed you're using a stereo spread delay AFTER the Gain plugin. This may well be the problem. Try inserting the gain after the Spreader (which is probably causing the phase issues you are experiencing). Let me know how you get on. :)
  • Pik
    So I gather that I should probably put the multi meter on as the first plug in to check the phase or is it better as the last plug in when recording as opposed to mixing? I tried everything on that track and nothing worked so I'm going to have to re-record the vocal. I'm studying the latency tutorial because I want to start to incorporate the voice live2 for vocal recording. I had no plug ins when I recorded the original. I started adding all the plug ins and then trying to adjust or bypass to see if anything had an effect and nothing did. On the Goniometer, I could only see what looked like a quick lightning flash along the tangent line diagonal from right to left. Totally bizarre. But I have to say that the Mac Pro Video tutorials have really been an enormous help and I look forward to continuing on as a subscriber. andy@dreamsinthehighdesert.com
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Andy, I'd use the technique that SteveH shows in his Mastering Toolbox tutorial (video 11 Gain Plugin Toolkit) - whereby he places the Multimeter first in the chain AND last in the chain. This way you can see the correlation meter (phase) Before and After effect processing. Yes, I haven't been through all the "Latency in Logic tutorial yet": [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9207[/url] But so far I'm loving it too! Let me know how you get on :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: