macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Dekuruy
    2 MOTU 8pre's going into Logic
    Hi all, I'm trying to get 16 channels of audio into Logic 9.1.3. I have two MOTU 8pre's connected via firewire to my mac. One 8pre is connected to the mac's firewire port, the other is connected to the first 8pre's firewire port. They are both recognized by Logic in Audio preferences as '8pre #1' and '8pre #2'. Yet, the best I can do is get Logic to receive 8 channels from one or the other 8pre. It's not able to receive from both 8pre's simultaneously. I even set up an aggregate device, and still got the same results. I didn't think I'd have to run them in aggregate. I thought that Logic could see all sixteen channels because they were connected via firewire. What am I doing wrong?
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: 2 MOTU 8pre's going into Logic
    Troubleshooting #1: What's selected as the input device in Logic's audio prefs?
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Ski, Thanks for the reply. I have tried both 8pre's as input devices. Whichever one I choose gives me the eight channels of input from that selected 8pre and I get no Input from the other.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Adam, When you created an Aggregate device in the Audio MIDI Setup did you give the agg. device a specific name? If you then quit Logic and relaunch it you should find it in the Audio Preferences area where select the device to use with Logic. Hope this helps Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Just as a thought, should I be using the optical I/O instead of firewire to connect the two 8pre's? Is this how I can get 16 channels of audio into Logic?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Adam, This rings a bell... you're right... in fact with 2 8pre's you don't need to create an aggregate device. Make sure to connect them via the optical cable and Logic will see 18 inputs. 16 standard inputs + Mix 1 + Mix 2. That should work :)
  • Dekuruy
    Thanks for the help, Rounik and Ski. I should be able to try this out within the next few days, after I get some optical cables. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Dekuruy
    Hey, Rounik and Ski, So, it all seems to be working just about like you said, Rounik. Great! The only oddity is that the two 8pre's combined don't give me an option for channels 9 and 10. I have to skip those two channels when setting up the channels in the Arrange page, and use 11 and 12 for the first two inputs of the second 8pre - strange, right. What I'm actually doing is inputting 8 stereo pairs from my 8 iPads. So, ch. 1-8 accommodate the first four iPads on the eight line-ins of the first 8pre, but ch. 11 - 18 are used for the other four stereo pairs, being input through the eight line-ins of the second 8pre. (The second 8pre is in 'converter' mode, and is connected to the first via one optical cable. The first 8pre is, of course, connected to my Mac via firewire). What is happening with ch. 9-10? I get no signal from those two channels into Logic.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Adam, Glad to hear you're almost there! Have you checked in CueMix - or the software that comes with the Motu 828 to see how that's setting up your inputs... :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: