macProVideo.com
Forums
  • drusif
    sample pack help
    i got 2 things im stuck with. firstly. i got the deadmau5 sample pack, and although listenin to some of it, its no where near as good as i thought it would be but i found a nice hihat hit i wanted to use. all the files in the pack seem to be wav. i can open them up in itunes but if i try to open one in logic it says "XF_SynLongC01.wav has a 32 bit format and cannot be played" any ideas why? where should i be dropping the sample pack and openin it from? cause at the minute its just on my desk top and im auditioning the samples from there. secondly im trying to learn sidechaining and everyone seems to send it to a bus? why is this so? cheers drusif
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: sample pack help
    Hi drusif, I've never tried working with 32-bit wave files. I'm surprised any sample packs are supplied in this format.. as some DAWs, like Logic, can't yet work with 32-bit audio files... Do you have the application: Compressor in your Applications folder? You could use that to convert the file to 24 bit... Or... are you sure the sample pack didn't come with 24 bit and/or 26 bit versions of the samples? These can be imported into Logic just fine. Not sure what you mean about Side chaining... Could you start a new thread on this? Thanks Rounik
  • Hamish H
    Hi Drusif I navigate to my sample folders using the browser in Logic. If the sample pack is not Apple Loops you don't drag it and drop it anywhere (that I know of) I don't know what that "XF_SynLongC01.wav has a 32 bit format and cannot be played" message means sorry, you probably should write to Loopmasters support. Sidechaining - what are you trying to sidechain? are you trying to sidechain a plugin (like a compressor or a gate) or sidechain the ES1 or ES2? And what are you using as the sidechain source? eg are you trying to sidechain a compressor with a kick drum? Cheers Hamish
  • drusif
    hey rounik, yea ive got the compressor app but not sure how to use it. if logic cant read 32 bit ill see if i can download it agin with a smaller rate. as for the side chaining i think i understand it now. wat i was on about is say i set a kick, snare and hats, i send them all to a single bus...say 7 then add the side chain to bus 7 rather then individualy. is that right?
  • drusif
    hey hamish, so for example i have a few different packs with kick drum hits in the i wanna be able to just go to the channel strip to select instrument. go to kicks and then be able to scroll through till i find the one i like, so where would i have to store the samples? as for the side chain its just so i can do it on the kick drum snare and hats, think i got that now! i can also convert the kick to audio and use the audio to side chain other parts then cant i?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi drusif, Just to let you know 32-bit audio files relates to their "bit depth" not their "sample rate". Common Sample rates are: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 96 kHz, etc. Common Bit Depths are: 16-bit, 24-bit and now 32-bit (the last one can't be imported into Logic 9). See if you can download the 24 bit audio samples. I'd be very, very surprised if the only ones offered are 32-bit. Also, see if the samples are offered as Apple Loops. Then you can add them straight to your Apple Loops Library. If you can only get 24-bit wave files then you either need to make them into Apple Loops yourself and add them to the Loop Library - or you could create an EXS24 Sampler Instrument and load them into that - so that each sample can be mapped to a key on your MIDI Keyboard. (You could do the same with Ultrabeat too.. and here's how:) [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/blog/logic-pro/loading-samples-logics-ultrabeat[/url] Please post your question about side-chaining in a new thread. Dealing with multiple topics in one thread can get very confusing - especially for those who search for an answer to one of the topics in the future ;-) Thanks Rounik
  • drusif
    ah thats a helpfull link! ive just bought the ultrabeat tutorial and had a few questions about it but i guess this answer it. so the question was, i like ultrabeat but most of the kits and hits etc dont suit me at all..... so if i were to go and buy some kits from a source in my style of music i could essentially make up a perfect kit for me from loading different hits/samples from several kits into one custom kit that i would use time and time again. i also assume if i tweaked the settings on them they would save to? another question though, i was kinda hopin the tutorial would give me some help with wat frequency ranges best suit particular hits, i no its to suit ur own ear but is there anywhere that offers help with that? cheers guys drusif
  • Rounik Admin
    Yup! You can load any audio samples into Ultrabeat to create your own kits and save them too. Even better, you can create your own EXS24 Sampler Instruments (much more detailed than UB's) and open these in Ultrabeat... but one step at a time ;-) Frequency ranges... well, that's not really specific to Ultrabeat... that's more a topic about what sound is - or mixing techniques IMHO. Check out this thread in SteveH's Logic forum here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/tips-n-tricks&id=32556[/url] Hope it helps Rounik
  • drusif
    exs is the next thing for me to look at. wanna get good on ub and the es1 first. its a lot to take in lol. i thought cause ub comes with the oscilators and filters it would be done through that! another thing though, suppose i map out my beats, follow that for 8 bars then suppose i wanna change it so maybe the kick drops out and the hi hats hit more frequently do i make a new channel strip for that? thanks for ur help drusif
  • Hamish H
    Hi Drusif No, you don't need to make a new channel strip. You'll find out as you work through the UB tutorial, but basicly you can create more than one pattern in UB. Once you've created your patterns, you can either leave them in UB or drag them onto the arrange page where they magically turn into new midi regions. So you can either take kicks out and add more hats using UB's patterns, or else you can copy and edit the midi regions in the piano roll. Personally I use UB to build the kit from samples, then create a basic pattern, then drag the pattern into the arrange window to create a new midi region. Then I can loop, copy and edit the region any way I like - open the piano roll and add more hits with the pencil tool, change the velocities of different hits, change the quantisation etc. What works for you will come down to your workflow, and you'll have a much better idea about what you can do once you've worked through the UB tutorial. As for frequencies: Drum kits are great because as they've evolved over many many years they are already designed to fill different frequency ranges without the separate elements clashing with eachother. For example the main body of the kick is around 50-60 Hz, and hit hats and cymbals are high up in the 1000s of HZ. So without you having to do any work, a hi hat and kick drum played at the same time are both going to be audible. The thing to remember is to use low cut EQ to cut out the low frequencies of each of the drums. You don't have to do this until you mix. I'd recommend Olav's Mixing electronica to teach you about the mixing process. And tune your drums! Its really important and its surprising what a difference it makes to tightening up a track. Hope that helps! Hamish
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: