macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kejedey
    Boomy Frequency
    Hi Guys, I've been working on a Hose track, and eq'd and compressed the kick, but when listening back I found a 'rogue' frequency, about 48hz by the Multimeter, had popped up, causing the bass to boom at certain places in the room. I managed to cure it by cutting the bass a bit, but I wonder if I could have zero'd in on that one narrow band somehow? Cheers Gurner
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: Boomy Frequency
    Sure, you could use an EQ with a narrow Q (bandwidth) to cut back on that frequency. Another approach would be to use a very narrow band on a multi-band compressor. But... you mentioned "the room". What room would that be? Your studio? Or did you play your track in a club? In any case, the frequency response will never be the same in all places in any room (studio or otherwise). You'll find the opposite too, that there are certain places in a room where certain frequencies will disappear. So if you could clarify where you're listening to your track it would help to narrow down how to cure the problem. That said, either approach I mentioned above would work. But whether you'd have to apply EQ to the kick itself or the main output (stereo output) depends on how the track is produced.
  • Kejedey
    My studio is in a small '1/4 Space' - I tend to burn tracks to CD then listen on my HiFi in the living room. Anyway I did both - the kick and output - to get a better result. I was trying to get a narrow Q, but couldn't figure it out on the eq's in Logic 9? Check the link to the finished track - Kwenzenjani. Deep House, not Hose![url]http://soundcloud.com/afro_reggae_records/kwenzenjani-m-c-remix-feat[/url]
  • Peter Schwartz
    I just listened to the track. The kick sounds a little bit thin to me. Just a tad. Wondering if it's the EQ. I'm almost thinking that you could avoid using EQ if you tuned the kick down a little bit. It sounds right in the track once the bass comes in, but at the top it sounds a little thin and exposed and ringy. But that little nitpick aside, nice track! On Logic's Channel EQ, the Q control is the value on the bottom row. So from top to bottom you have: - frequency - cut/boost - Q If you're going to continue down the EQ route, suggest you use one of the parametric bands (not the low cut or the low shelf, i.e., use the third one from the left).
  • Kejedey
    The kick is the UB 909. Plugs are compression, but not much, Platinum with threshold -6.5db Channel eq set to boost the bass +3.5db at 80hz, and cut treble above 2k, my Xenon limiter, set to +1.2 db, which I might as well bypass as it isn't doing much and Logic's parametric eq Gain -3.5db Freq 48hz Q 0.25 Then the bounced track has been through my mastering template, where I used the channel eq to roll off -1.5db at 48hz, Q 1.10 That's what you hear on the track Any further suggestions based on that? Cheers
  • Peter Schwartz
    No other suggestions based on that. I still think that maybe tuning the kick down a little bit would do the trick.
  • Kejedey
    Thanks Ski, will try lowering the pitch of the kick in Ultrabeat. Cheers for the feedback on the track, Gurner
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hi Gurner, Just curious (inquiring minds want to know!) How'd things work out with your track? Best, Ski
  • Kejedey
    Hi Ski, To tell the truth I've kept it as it was on the track you heard, as it does sit well once the bass comes in - I played to a couple of guys who really like it. Also someone may be doing a remix - so no point going too mad on the original tune... However I've now set up a template using your suggestion, with that same kick but slightly lower in pitch, and the channel eq (which my Tascam 1884 desk maps to, though I had not understood it properly before) - anyway a tight Q and a reduction of the exact 'boom' has led to a great sounding kick, to be heard on our next effort! Cheers, Pete
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: