macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jauqq
    Marquee tool help?
    I'm just working through one of the examples in Logic 207 latency toolbox video, where i've 4 audio regions on four audio tracks selected. I then zoom in on these regions, and here i'm using the marquee tool to make a single pixel selection across these four regions. Now in the video, Tom says to use the right area key to move the marquee marker to the start of the first transient across the four regions. But when i press the right arrow, instead of a single pixel marquee marker moving to the first transient, I end up with a selection being made from the start of the regions to the first transient. I dont get the single pixel marquee marker at all. What am i doing wrong? Later on the video Tom uses the delete key while using the marquee tool to cut the audio at the point of the transient. However when I try to cut using the delete key, I end up deleting the rest of the audio region from that point onwards. Again what am i doing wrong? Sorry i'm not much good at the audio side of Logic. Still an "old school running midi hardware live like we did with Notator" type of guy :-)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Marquee tool help?
    Hi Jauqq, Which video # is this, so I can follow along? From your description I've followed along and it works fine (moving marquee line to next transient). Are you using Logic 9.1.3? Type "marquee' in your Key Commands search field and check that the following commands are set up right: - Select Previous Region/Event, or set Marquee End ... to previous transient. = left arrow - Select Next Region/Event, or set Marquee End ... to previous transient. = right arrow ----- Again, hitting delete or backspace splits the regions where the Marquee point is for me... Thanks Rounik
  • Jauqq
    Hi Rounik, I'm using Logic 9.1.3, and the video i'm trying to follow is from Logic 207, Logic Latency Toolbox, video 42. Around the 1.50 min mark where Tom uses the Marquee to select a thin line across his regions. I "sort" of am able to do that, but where Tom says he uses the right arrow to move to the next transient, I get a selection from where i made my first Marquee mark to the first transient. I did fumble and it worked a few times as it should (dont ask me how I managed it because i dont know myself!!) but then when i had the thin Marquee line across the first transient, and hit delete to cut, instead it deleted the audio region from that point on to the end. Will look at the Marquee key commands a little later, but for now i can say that yesterday i initialized all key commands but i still had problems. Edit: Have just searched "Marquee" in the key commands and I have "select previous region/event, or set end" with a Left arrow. And I have "select next region/event or set Marquee end" with a right arrow. However both of key commands have a symbol to the left of them that looks like a black piece of paper covered by a white one.... sorry that's how I can describe it :-) And "split region/event by locators or Marquee selection" has no key command there. I try to enter a key command by using "learn key command label" and pressing delete key, but nothing happens....
  • Dydavee
    Hi Jauqq, If pressing the right arrow expands the marquee selection, then press the left arrow a few times until you get a single pixel selection. From then on, pressing the right arrow will advance the selection as in the video. The problem you are experiencing with the entire region being deleted to the right of the selection is a bug that can occur at high zoom levels. When this happens, simply press cmd-z to undo the operation. This will reinstate the deleted portion of the region, while retaining the desired cut at the marquee selection. Tom
  • Rounik Admin
    Nice tip Tom - and great tutorial by the way. Am really enjoying it :) I've tried to replicate the bug - which deletes regions to the right of the Marquee point at all zoom levels (Logic 9.1.3) and can't do so. Are you able to replicate this on your system? Thanks Rounik
  • Dydavee
    Hi Rounik, Glad you're enjoying the tutorial. I happened to go through some of your OSX tutorial last week and picked up some nice tips on Automator - so thanks for that! I'm using 9.1.3 too, but have also experienced this behaviour in other versions of 9 (and possibly 8 too). I just did some fiddling, and it only happens when Snap is set to a non-beat based value. That is, when set to Smart (and zoomed in), Samples, or QF. So I'm guessing it's caused by some kind of quantisation error occurring when Logic converts the marquee position to a sample or SMPTE value, to perform the cut. Tom
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Tom! Very odd... I can usually replicate bugs easily - more like they seem to find me!.. But in this case I can't replicate this... regardless of the Snap setting or zoom level. Ah well, perhaps there's a bug that prevents me discovering the bug... :)
  • dnizzle
    It happens when the Audio tracks have the Hide selected, at least for me. I had to deselect the H's to get it to work.
  • dnizzle
    I am still having issues with the Marquee tool. I am working with 5 Software Instruments: NI's Kontakt 5, NI's Absynth 4, NI's Massive, FF's One, and FF's Twin 2. I use the Marquee tool on the 5 audio tracks and it automatically appears to set itself at the first transient of the Absynth track, then I hit the right arrow key and it goes to an area that doesn't seem to align with a transient of any track, and then I hit it a third time it will jump to the next transient in the next measure of the Absynth track again. I used Grab to take some pictures and here they are in the same sequence as described: [url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4983817/Logic/1.tiff[/url] [url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4983817/Logic/2.tiff[/url] [url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4983817/Logic/3.tiff[/url] I appreciate the help! I've been recommending this tutorial to everyone I know in the industry!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: