macProVideo.com
Forums
  • daryl 72
    Re: Can you phase align drums in Logic 8?
    Hallo Ski,with regards to marrying 2 or more samples in Ableton Live 8,I have only been there once when my friend was aligning 2 kick drums so obviously I can't say conclusively that you would always get a good result but from what I saw the Warp function allows you to move and align individual volume peaks and troughs so they coincide with each other.Can Logic's Flex time not do this?
  • Peter Schwartz
    Flex time can definitely do that. Not sure how it compares to Warp cuz I don't know anything about Live, but yes, Flex lets you set markers and you can move them around in either direction (compress or expand).
  • daryl 72
    That's very good to know,thanks again for all your's and Rounik's help with this issue,it's much appreciated.
  • PDXstudio
    Re: Can you phase align drums in Logic 8?-Use Nudge
    I just did a project in which I had to align several kicks/snares for a layered-sample, Ed Banger Records style sound. Something that helped me tremendously was to use the Nudge left/Nudge right key commands, and then use my ears. I like to put the Set Nudge Value button and Nudge Left/Right in the tool bar (Ctrl+Click on toolbar>Customize Toolbar) so I can easily see what the Nudge value is, though I use the key commands for most of the actual nudging. Line the kicks up as best you can with the mouse, then set nudge value to ms and start adjusting. When you get super close set it to the sample for the finishing touch..
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hiya PDX, Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your contribution to this thread. Glad to have some (pun sort of intended) reinforcement of the notion that you have to use your ears to make this work sometimes. Using the nudge functions is a great tip. Cheers, Ski
  • daryl 72
    Thanks for the tip PDXstudio I appreciate that.You wrote''set it to the sample...''can you expand on this comment please since I'm not familiar with the nudge and sample functions.Daryl.
  • PDXstudio
    Hi Ski, Thanks. This is a helpful forum and I look forward to participating. best, PDXstudio
  • PDXstudio
    Nudge Left and Nudge Right will move a selected region (or regions) left or right by the nudge value. The Nudge Value can be set to bar, beat, division, tick, 5 frames, frame, SMPTE bit, 10ms, 1ms, or sample. After putting the Nudge Value and Nudge Left/Right buttons in your toolbar (via Ctrl Click on toolbar>Customize Toolbar), you can conveniently set the nudge value, select a region, and use the Nudge Left/Right buttons to fine tune the placement of your regions (in my example, drum hits). Set it to 1ms first, and if you need more precision to fine tune the placement, set it to sample (so, if your sample rate is 44.1KHz, setting nudge value to "sample" gives you precision of 1/44,100th of a second)
  • Peter Schwartz
    Just one little fine-point suggestion about nudging by frames... If you should decide to try out the "nudge by frame" or "5 frames", make sure to set the frame rate of your project to 30 fps first. Logic will ask you "are you sure?" to which you should answer "yes". Now, 1 frame in the context of what we're discussing here is a huge amount of time, but still, setting your project to 30 fps will give you a higher degree of accuracy and grid resolution when it comes to shifting regions with the nudge-by-frame commands. It will also provide (in theory) the highest resolution for nudging by bits as well, as a bit is 1/80 of a frame. Thus, the higher the frame rate, the finer the resolution of each bit.
  • daryl 72
    Thanks for that Ski.:-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: