macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tonojaa
    Capture Last Take L9
    Hello All, I recently upgraded to L9 after moving up to the latest MBP (up from 10.4.11). Just love these new learning curves... Can someone please explain a simple workflow concerning what used to be known in L8 as "capture last take"? It used to be so simple! I'm playing back a simple 4 bar apple loop of some acoustic guitar plucking and am trying to add just a few notes during cycle playback. Its a MIDI loop, but after activating "capture last take", I see my new notes in a separate take region, as if I'm working with Take Folders and audio. All I want to do is paste/merge these new notes into the same region like you could in L8. I've done searches online for "capture last take Logic 9", and have even called Apple Tech Support but it sounded like the tech I was talking to was making it more complicated than it should be, at least how it was in L8. Am I missing something here? Surely Logic wouldn't have done away with something as simple and useful as that function! Can someone please help me out? Thanks. Soundwriter
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Capture Last Take L9
    Hi Soundwriter, The command "Capture Last Take" is now called: "Capture as Recording" in Logic 9. You can specify what Logic will do when you record MIDI regions over an existing MIDI region by choosing the relevant option from: File > Project Settings > Recording... From the Overlapping Recordings drop down choose: "Merge with Selected Regions" (or Merge only in Cycle Record depending how you'd like Logic to behave). You can find this info in the Logic 101 and of course ask here before spending that much time searching the net and calling Apple Tech Support! ;-) Best Rounik
  • Tonojaa
    Hi Rounik, Thanks for responding. Perhaps I should've mentioned I already went to the Recording tab and selected "merge with selected region" but its still not letting me merge the new take with the original region; it just replaces it altogether only with the new notes. I have the 101 tutorial but can't play it yet on the new Mac (another story)... but from what I recall, didn't it deal mainly with take folders relative to audio? Im dealing with a midi region and the menus are a little different from audio. Anyway, maybe the problem is I donât clearly understand what the options in the Record tab mean. If all I want to do is merge/paste/fuse/combine (or whatever the proper terminology is) my additional notes to what was already existing in the particular region I'm dealing with, in a manner that closest resembles how it was done in L8 "Capture Last Take", which option under the Record tab should I use? Thanks, Soundwriter
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Soundwriter, There's a bug in Logic 9 with Merge with selected regions in Cycle mode. It doesn't (in my experience create Take folders - but does layer regions on top of each. There are two workarounds that I would employ: 1. with "Merge only in cycle record" chosen, record your MIDI region. When done click on the track header to select all regions within the cycle range. Hit the Merge button in your toolbar. or 2. Choose "Merge with Selected regions". Now record your MIDI part over the previous one and you should notice that the MIDI regions merge perfectly... Hope this helps :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: