macProVideo.com
Forums
  • kd7gkn
    Logic Pro in Professional Studios
    I've been looking all over the internet for this statistic. What percentage of pro studio's use logic pro. I know a decent number do but people always come into my studio and think its lame that I'm not using protools. I want some sort of statistic to throw at them lol.
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: Logic Pro in Professional Studios
    People who think that it's "lame" not to be running ProTools... Man, that kind of snobbery really gets my goat. My feeling: I don't think you need to show them statistics. Instead, I think you need to show them what you can [i]do[/i]. Even long after I established myself in NY as a session musician, arranger, orchestrator, first using Notator, then Studio Vision, people would ask me why I wasn't using PT. I'd explain that you can't do (what I do) on PT, but it seemed like that was never a good-enough answer. It's like people have been brainwashed into thinking that PT is the be-all, end-all. And the whole "industry standard" BS is, well, BS. If nothing else, I'd like to know which part of the music business includes "industry", and how that segment of it uses PT. And "standard"? Wow, talk about a closed mind-set, exactly the opposite of what musicians should have... Or maybe that's just me? Anyway, don't worry about what other people think. Showing them what you can do on your system is the best way to shut them up.
  • kd7gkn
    Thats a great point. I'm doing my best here. I have ProTools 9 but I really don't like the workflow so I still use logic almost exclusively. I know the Killers and Trent Reznor recorded their last couple albums in Logic.
  • Peter Schwartz
    And in addition, there are lots of top-rank movie score composers who use Logic. I'm pretty sure that if you search around (or continue to ask the question) that you'll find out that a surprising number of big-name artists use Logic instead of PT. And indeed, some use both. But when you really come down to it, it's not like somehow Logic is "deficient" compared to PT. Every DAW, whether it's PT, DP, Sonar, Cubase, Live, Nuendo, etc. each have their strengths and weaknesses. Some are better-suited for audio editing, others are better suited for pattern-based composing, and so on. But I'll tell you... I have a client -- a former PT users -- that I do a bunch of engineering for. Now, not to toot my own horn, but she always seems to get a kick out of how quickly I do audio editing in Logic (vocals, live piano and other instruments) as compared to how she used to work in PT (and she was a crack PT operator!) And it's funny, one of the things that PT snobs try to use as a sticking point with Logic is how it's not well-suited for audio editing. And my reaction is always... "Really?!?!?!?!?!?" And that's not because I'm some kind of Logic fanboy. It's just that I don't see how there can be too much "this is better than that" when it comes to audio editing. After all, what is there to do --- record, trim regions, adjust volume, apply crossfades, do comps, and that's about it, really. It [i]is[/i] true that when it comes to loop-based productions that there are certain facilities in PT that are faster than Logic. For example, copying/pasting a part across an entire track and having the crossfades made automatically between each one. But for as fast as I've seen PT engineers do that kind of operation, I see them struggle with selecting the various tools. So which DAW you use is, really, a matter of personal taste. When it comes to satisfying a client, if there's something about PT that you just can't do in Logic, well, maybe it's time to learn both to keep the cash flow coming in from your clients. But otherwise, I think there's a lot of PT snobbery out there which is, for lack of a better term, sooooooo lame.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: