macProVideo.com
Forums
  • steveH
    Re: Tutorial Request: Score Editor
    [quote:21312][quote:4039]I've always wanted to do an in-depth tutorial on the score editor... I wonder if there is enough demand out there to make it worth it? It's definitely needed![/quote] Integrate the tutorial with using Audio to Score (especially tweaking parameters for drums) and I'm in![/quote] I can do an audio to score tutorial as a TNT!
  • macnando
    Hi Steve All my support for this idea! Take care, macnando
  • Xidehoy
    Excellent. I have a couple of funky drum audio clips I want to midi-ize and create some funky bass lines!
  • heimi
    Steve, when will you start with "Mastering the Score Editor"? Maybe a Christmas present? :-D :-D :-D
  • Rasydye
    hi, steve, i think it will be well worth to create a real chapter dedicated to using score. i'm a classically trained musician, score editor in logic is a major reason attracting me to logic. i am a sebilius user but got almost totally lost when jumping into the score editor of logic. in my opinion, it seems much less intuitive. i do have the book called advanced logic which contains a chapter on score editor, adn i also have the tnt chapter, but i don't thnk they are enough. actually i'm also wondering whether the software itself can provide enough support in this regard. i hope my doubt will be proved wrong with more knowledge on the software. i thnk it is true that people from classical background are reluctant dive into computer musci partly because they will be lost. they compose in a way different from pop musicians, who use lots of loops or improvise a lot. classical people primarily rely on score. i'm very sure if logic has a really amazing score editor, i can pursuade many composers around me to turn to it. they all ahve the desire but they are afraid of the learning curve and if the result doesn't pay back. look forward to that chapter!!! thanks a lot!
  • Wilifua
    I'd pay for Tutorial on the Score Editor. Any plans to make one? If so when? Tim
  • steveH
    Logic's score editor is a great asset, however, it is important to remember that Logic is a music production tool first and foremost! What we perform as interpreters of a score, or, as music producers is often very different than what is inferred by the notation on the page. Musicians interpret scores. Scores use shortcut techniques to give musicians the notion of what the composer is hearing in his head. Logic, on the other hand, has to both perform and (if you're producing a a written score) give the notion of what the composer wants the performers to play. Doing both is a very difficult if not, at times, impossible task. For example to perform a glissando in Logic, the composer has to enter every MIDI note. The score, on the other hand, needs only to have a squiggly vertical line... what do we do with all those MIDI notes?! In other words, Logic can have two masters: How is sounds, and how it looks! The key to producing a good "looking" score is to forget how it sounds. The key to producing a good "sounding" composition its to forget how it looks! This is a conundrum for those of us who want both! A common solution in Logic is to create two versions of every song. One that sounds right, and one that looks right! More on this in a future tutorial! I hope this helps!
  • Linubaa
    Hi Steve Thanks for the insight, you touched on a really good point with the aspect of how music "looks" as opposed to how it sounds. As an ear-oriented musician myself, I've only recently become interested in the written form as a way of deepening my understanding of composition concepts, or as applies to Logic, a way of transcribing classical scores using the software. Symbols and even key signatures used in written music still boggle me, and when you're step writing in matrix view, it's somewhat irrelevant. I recently transcribed a piano work, arranged it for orchestra and jazz trio, and the sax part involves a lot of slides, trills and pitch bends. For sure, Logic would be hard pressed to interpret that in score form, and I'd probably end up tweaking it in that "F" program before presenting it to actual players. However, Logic's scorer is a good start in that direction, and would be my tool of choice for composition and arrangement. Where Score Editor comes into play for me most significantly is, as mentioned, transcribing symphonic compositions by, say, Stravinsky, Debussy, Chopin, etc. I have a good ear for pitch, melody and harmony, but listening to an orchestra, the ear can pick out only so much. I'll do a lot of note entry in the matr... I mean, "Piano Roll" (makes me want to transcribe Nancarrow!), and use score view for proofing what I do against the original. But I think that process would go a lot quicker if I got accustomed to using Score Editor directly for note entry, and any and all tips for making that go more smoothly would be a Godsend. So that was my main motivation for requesting a score tutorial, and your approach for making the transition from sound to appearance (and vice versa), um, SOUNDS like a great way to go, and I look forward to that tutorial you mentioned! * solo *
  • Rasydye
    hi, steve, thanks for your explanation and insights, they help a lot! i'm still exploring the way to produce music with logic given my situation. here is my basic approach: i finish the full score in sibelius and import it to logic as midi file, then assign the right sound to every track. i'm looking for good sound in logic and try to add life and color to the scored music under this approach, by using whatever logic can provide. but i'm not very satisfied in this regard at this point. i can layout the music in score editor by choosing the right score styles, and they basically look right. but i tend to use the score editor just as an editor.as to the look of the music, i would stay with sibelius. whatever i add in logic, i will update in sibelius. i totally agree with your point that we have to decide what we are looking for, sound or look. but i'm not sure whether my approach is an efficient one, maybe you could give some suggestions? i believe it will be a great thing if your could give some advices or even just some general directions on the methodology of producing music, to people who think music primarily with notation and still try to produce good sound. it is true that there is a trade-off between how music sounds and how it looks. score has its limit, especially when facing the electronic music today, it has no the ability to record the automation of sound. and it becomes the limit to people who think of music primarily with notations to produce music. maybe it would be a good idea to make some videos on how to produce different genres of music, from beginning to the end of making a song, like some cases studies. it will demonstrate how logic, as a musical instrument, can achieve those particular sounds and effects for that style? thanks for all your great tutorials, i have every of them and will buy every of them. i enjoyed them all. best cx
  • Mozodoy
    Thanks, Steve, for your thoughtful explanation of Logic's Score editor. Of course, you are right. >The key to producing a good "looking" score is to forget how it sounds.< Music is an incredible language that is quite vast. The interpretation of musical scores by musicians, at any level, is a vast subject. But the notation of music is a time honored science. For years I've saved a separate version of my compositions to score. I've scored sporadically over the years, taking much time and study because I don't do it that often. I would need an advanced training that includes complex piano scores and orchestral type formats. I just want to get better at scoring anything I write. It would be very cool to have someone, like you, to streamline the steps for me visually. But the difficulty for you, as the trainer, can be to produce a tutorial that will answer the needs of such a wide variety of users. Many don't know how to read music very well while others are classically trained and desire training with very complex scoring. I'm hoping if you decide to do an extensive tutorial that you will cover the advanced aspects. I have tremendous confidence in your abilities to streamline the approach for anyone, as you are a natural teacher :) Thank you for all your efforts. They are much appreciated. Beder
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: