macProVideo.com
Forums
  • macnando
    Re: Tutorial Request: Score Editor
    Hi Steve, Thanks for your efforts to clear out score possibilities on Logic. Even in specific music notation softwares like previous versions of Finale, I had to deal with this situation, to make it sound right or look right. Nowadays things got much better. If one assigns a glissando signal between two notes, it really happens soundwise. I don't have to write that bunch of 16th or 32th chromatic notes. You can even create your own expressions (text or symbols) and tell Finale what to play. Score notation in Logic doesn't have that sofistication, I guess. Do you think one can write a full orchestra score in Logic? With expression and dynamics too? Maybe those are questions for a future tutorial. Thanks for your thoughts and concern, macnando
  • steveH
    [quote:2985]Hi Steve, Thanks for your efforts to clear out score possibilities on Logic. Even in specific music notation softwares like previous versions of Finale, I had to deal with this situation, to make it sound right or look right. Nowadays things got much better. If one assigns a glissando signal between two notes, it really happens soundwise. I don't have to write that bunch of 16th or 32th chromatic notes. You can even create your own expressions (text or symbols) and tell Finale what to play. Score notation in Logic doesn't have that sofistication, I guess. Do you think one can write a full orchestra score in Logic? With expression and dynamics too? Maybe those are questions for a future tutorial. Thanks for your thoughts and concern, macnando[/quote] You CAN assign midi meaning to certain a limited group of symbols in Logic! Check out MIDI meaning under the Layout window. You can also add hyper draw events to any region (staff) although they don't become score markings.
  • Linubaa
    [quote:2985]Do you think one can write a full orchestra score in Logic? With expression and dynamics too? macnando[/quote] Macnando I did that using a new template you can call up in Logic 8; it gives you a full 30-piece orchestra, in symphonic score order, with instruments and regions already loaded. I step entered a solo piano work, arranged the other instruments around it and developed it into a full concerto. Granted, I performed all note entry in Piano Roll, but you do have dynamics, tempo and (depending on your sampled instrument) a certain amount of expressive control. Steve Great tip about the MIDI Meaning command, I was totally unaware of that function! I know what I'LL be experimenting with this weekend ...
  • macnando
    Thanks for nice midi tips Steve, thank you solotasq for this info about Logic 8. I haven't got my Logic 8 upgrade yet but I'm sure I will try this new template. I used to save midi files from my Finale scores and transfer them to Logic: With just some voice and instruments assignments I could reach some amazing results. It seems that Logic 8 makes it even better. Yes, guys, here under the equator we have to wait a bit longer for new stuff (Logic 8)...under the sun, at least...
  • steveH
    Yes, Logic does great orchestra!
  • Rasydye
    hi, steve, thanks a lot for your tips and i can't wait to try. also look forward to more of your insights on this part in your score editor tutorial! thanks
  • Linubaa
    Macnando: Not to hijack my own thread, but we should think about starting a Logic/Finale integration forum .... I'm sure there are many that could benefit from such a resource. * solo *
  • steveH
    I'm really excited about doing a score tutorial.... but when is the big question!!! There are just so many hours in the day in the year.....
  • heimi
    Part 1 of Score Tutorial as a Christmas present? Just make a price for us and we will pay. I really can't wait...I love your tutorials!!!
  • macnando
    Hi guys, If I would be Steve Jobs, I would buy MakeMusic (Finale) and integrate it in the Logic Studio suite. You can say, "why not Sibelius?" Sibelius belongs to a huge company, Avid, that owns Digidesign (Protools) and so many other softwares. Is it too much of a dream? Well, I remember when I bought my first Audiowerk sound card, Emagic days... Dreams apart, I would suport a score editor tutorial also. Greetings, macnando
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: