macProVideo.com
Forums
  • drusif
    ub
    got a quick question, on the ub tutorial steve says wen u open it its got sinewave as the default sound but mine has a kick drum as default. just askin cause i like the way he tweaked the sine wave and i wanna have a go at it cheers
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: ub
    Interesting. I think the default kit that loads with UB was changed in an update to Logic. Not a big problem though... In the assignments/Mixer area (on the left) right-click on the Kick. Choose Init from the menu and then choose Sine or whatever you'd prefer from the menu. :-)
  • drusif
    superb! another thing i couldnt do is re loading samples on osc 2! i have no option for layer and velocity so cant hear anything wen sample is loaded says it is disabled!!!! its very handy having the note area on each clip so i can work through the videos and pick up on anything im not understanding
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey drusif, which kit do you have loaded up? It's a good question. I believe this is because the audio sample you have loaded is not able to be layered... I suspect should you load an EXS24 Sampler drum kit in where the samples have been multi-layered then it'd work fine. Basically, when it comes to sampling a real drum kit, the sound of say a snare drum hit softly is very different to if it's hit harder, or very hard. So, when playing back sampled instruments, like our drum kit, you can get more realistic sounding drums from Logic (or any Sampler) by recording/sampling the sound at different velocities (or strength of how hard the snare drum is hit). So, let's say we recorded a snare drum being hit 5 different velocities/strength(s)... . In the EXS24 sampler you can assign a velocity to each of these individual hits for the snare - so the snare is triggered by one note on your MIDI keyboard (let's say C2) - but if you hit the C2 note very softly it'll trigger playback of the "very soft snare" sample... hit it a bit louder... "softish snare"... etc, etc. Anyway, so you import these sampler instruments into Ultrabeat - so I believe this control for layer and velocity affects multi-layered sampler instruments. ... well, I hope this is the answer... because if it's not I've really gone round the houses with my answer ;-)
  • drusif
    that is a very long answer haha. i loaded straight into the ultrabeat samples so shouldnt have much of a problem! ive tried several different ones and they all say "disabled" and wont allow velocity? im struggling a bit with the whole ub tutorial. its very detailed, which is great but its a lot to take in with all the modulators and such, theres so much to control, i think wat i need to do is create my own kit out of the sounds i like then have a go at the sequnecer and making patterns before i worry about manipulating the sounds. trouble is though, to create my kit i need to take the samples from the other kits, i.e toms from the minimal kit, kicks from breakbeat kit, but that takes me back to my first issue of not gettin any velocity/sound from the sample. its very pickling lol :(
  • drusif
    also with reference to section 6 of the tutorial-24. advanced techniques wen ive opened a kit such as down tempo, it comes with hits already in it. then u can scroll through the patterns and it gives u the different patterns. but how do i open the kit with a blank sequencer so i can right my own pattern, then as in the tutorial go to the next pattern for section 2?? sorry to be a pain but i really wanna nail these drum patterns before i move on to the next tutorial
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey drusif, OK. So what I explained in my previous post might have been equivalent to throwing you in at the deep end ;-) Don't worry about the velocity layer for each sample just yet. If a sample has been recorded in a specific way (with multiple samples mapped to different velocities) then you can adjust that parameter. If not... then you can't. In the case of most samples loaded in to UB, you can't. The only way to open a UB Kit and have a blank sequence is to delete the pattern and save it as your own preset. Most (if not all) UB kits have some patterns left blank. Might be easier to choose one of the empty patterns. Ask away as many questions as you need to!! :-)
  • drusif
    ur a ledgend rounik. this is why ive saved macprovideo as my home page. its well usefull! so effectively i can save as many of my own presets as possible. wat i wanna do now is make up my own kit with hits from others. ive got most of the hits i wanna use sused. so to create the kit. i open up a default delete the existing pattern turn on voice auto select then i have to load each new hit/voice. import, choose voice i want, then drag or copy and paste to were i want it? wen i save it call it wat ever and it will save as a new kit with no patterns for me to play with (how do u save it once its ready? and will it over right my default kit?)
  • drusif
    think ive just had my question answered about makin my own kit in the tutorial section 7 importing voices!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey drusif, There's a standard way to save plugin settings for any of Logic's instrument or effects plugins. Basically, click on the long dark bar at the top of the plugin interface (next to "copy") and choose "Save as..." from there: [img]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2091/screenshot20110512at120.png[/img] Have you already watched the Logic 101 btw? I'd highly recommend it! :-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: