macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rohogay
    Can the Dock be shut off when in Logic?
    Have you ever wanted to just turn the Dock off when you're using Logic? It seems like a cool feature to have added to the OS for Logic. Any work around ideas? Thanks
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: Can the Dock be shut off when in Logic?
    Gah! One of my pet peeve "conveniences" of all time, the dreaded dock! But I'll try my best to refrain from going into a total rant about it. [ digs claws into chair ] OK, yes, there are some things you can do... 1) position the dock on the left side of the screen (possible via Onyx, if I'm not mistaken) 2) find a lil' app called "Dock Disabler" (if it's still available)
  • Rohogay
    sounds good. I will dig around for that app. I wonder if it's "Jail Break'ish"?
  • Peter Schwartz
    Do you mean that it might be use a method of intercepting a process built-in to the operating system?
  • Rohogay
    I think so, I see aps that require what is coined "Jail Break" in order to work. It's a bit unnerving because, No one wants to find out they've just made a goof of sorts. I see these aps that are ways to get phones to work but aren't sanctioned by the manufacture. I suppose it has to simpley tell the OS to not show the Dock and that wouldn't necessarily be out of the ordinary would it?
  • Peter Schwartz
    Lots of great softwares aren't officially sanctioned by the manufacturer. I don't know, for example, that Onyx or USBOverdriveX has Apple's "blessing" but they provides so much more flexibility than is built into the OS that they're godsends. My personal feeling is not to worry about it. If you find that app (or something like it), then just back up your system first if you're not 100% comfortable. Then install it and work with it for a while. If you get the feeling that your OS isn't quite working that well afterwards, revert to your backup.
  • Rohogay
    Ok, Advice from the experienced (and brave) is good advice. I trust you. I will give it a shot. I like how well everything works on my Mac, Love it. Just a bit wobbly in the knees sometimes.
  • redlogic
    You can change the position of the Dock using [b]System Preferences > Personal > Dock[/b]. Enabling [b]"Automatically hide and show the Dock"[/b] keeps it hidden until you mouse over the screen edge. It's still annoying to have it accidentally pop up from time to time, but at least it's hidden.
  • Peter Schwartz
    True enough. But you described the problem which points out why there really should be a "disable the dock from ever popping up" function (maybe per-application or whatever): mousing down (e.g., while rubber banding a bunch of tracks) will cause it to pop up, and there's no way around it without using a 3rd party app. :-(
  • Rohogay
    Yep, that is exactly the problem. I already have it in automatic hid etc. I like your idea, disable by application.That is a simple idea. OS up-grade maybe? I'm still going to work with the application you recommended. PS, Your tutorial is excellent. I probably told you but hey, it's fun and informative!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: