macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Dekuruy
    'Open Recent' menu item bug and trashing Preferences
    Hi all, I hope I'm not 'skiing' into trouble on this, but I've read Peter Schwartz's great hub article on resetting Logic's Preference Files, [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/trash-talk-guide-reset-logics-preference-files[/url] and I'm contemplating committing 'troubleshooting voodoo'. Or, as Rounik might deliciously describe it, I'm thinking of putting Logic on a 'detox diet'. Here's the issue: My 'Open Recent' menu item is not functioning since upgrading from OS10.5.8 (or whatever the last iteration of Leopard was) to OS 10.6.6. In Logic, TextEdit, Pages, and maybe other Applications as well, only items that are currently open in the application appear in the 'Open Recent' list. If I close the app, and then open it again, it shows nothing in that list. Also, whenever I launch Logic, it doesn't open to my most recent or existing projects like I've asked it to in General Preferences. It will open to an 'open' menu (the menu says 'open' as it's heading) that lists either all of my projects, or some of my most recently used projects, but this is not like the 'Open Recent' option I seem to be missing from the above mentioned apps. I've tried all the different options for preferences that would control or change this behavior, (Preferences>General>Project Handling>Startup Action) but Logic does not follow this 'logically'. I've been getting along ok like this, as it doesn't usually effect my workflow much, (I know it seems like a very minor issue), but there are two reasons why I'm asking about this now: 1. I'm doing a show involving 9 classes, each with their own Logic project, and it would be much easier to be able to access those projects, in order, from the 'Open Recent' list under file in the menu bar or Logic. 2. I just got a new MBP, yeah!, and my own version of Logic 9 (the version I've been using is my school's Logic 9 academic version). I've copied all of my Logic projects to an external drive, and I'm going to load them into my new version of Logic on my new MBP. Will I be corrupting anything on the new Logic 9 or the new MBP if I don't trash the Preferences first from the school's version? Will the new version of Logic behave with the same 'Open Recent' glitch if I open projects imported from the school's version into my new one without fixing the bug first? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Adam
  • Dekuruy
    Re: 'Open Recent' menu item bug and trashing Preferenc
    Oh, btw, if you think that everything should be fine if I just import those projects into the new MBP, and run them on the new version of Logic on that machine, then that would be the easiest solution, since I'm planning on using that machine for the show. Thanks again.
  • Dekuruy
    Sorry for the multiple posts on this..... does anyone have any ideas on this subject? I just don't want to load projects from the version of Logic on my old MBP, which seems to have some sort of issue (as described above) and wind up with the same issue on my new MBP. My thought is that since the new MBP has a brand new copy of Logic, and I've not yet changed any Preferences, it should be ok to load and run the Logic projects from the slightly glitchy version of Logic on my old MBP into the new MBP and everything should be fine. I was just hoping someone would have an idea on that. Many thanks, Adam
  • Peter Schwartz
    I'm a bit stumped at this one myself. Shot in the dark time... By any chance do you have Onyx? If so, there's an option in there that lets you increase the number of recent items that can be displayed. I'm thinking that maybe you can "force" your OS to display recently opened items this way. Voodoo? Maybe... : - )
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply. What's Onyx?! My strong feeling is that it's some sort of bug. My recents displayed fine until I upgraded to OS 10.6.6. I really just want to know whether I can load my current projects into my new MBP and run them on my new copy of Logic without causing the same issue. How much of a risk might there be in doing that? Oh, btw, just purchased 'Midi Demystified'. Great stuff! I can see a lot of work went into that, and the result is a great balance between delivering humor and interesting, insightful information. I haven't seen all of it yet, but I especially liked your analogies of Midi to the pipe organ. Oh, and of course I loved Steve H. falling 'Into the Abyss'! Very clever! Take care, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Adam, Have you tried trashing the preferences? ... J/K !! :) But seriously, I would use Onyx which is a free app to detox and flush all them toxins outta the inards of Mac OS... [url]http://www.titanium.free.fr/[/url] Alternatively try repairing disk permissions manually and restarting the Mac to make sure this isn't some weird permissions issue: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] I doubt the projects themselves are the cause of this issue btw, so it should be safe to load 'em up on the new MBP without falling into the abyss. :)
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hi Adam, I doubt that the problem is inherent to Logic projects, per se. I'm sure that if you brought them over to play in your MBP that you'd be fine. And thanks for purchasing my tutorial, and for your kind words about it. And who better to star in the leading role as bridgekeeper than Steve H! LOL Oh, and Rounik has a cameo in the tutorial too. Back to your problem. I'd be curious to know how/when you solve it, but again, I don't think it's anything to do with Logic or Logic projects per so. Onyx is a system utility for Mac: http://www.titanium.free.fr/index.php
  • Rounik Admin
    I agree with Ski... because I sneaked in with a cameo performance in the MIDI 101... :) Talking about Tweaking your Mac's Performance... you might be interested in checking out this article by RIchard Lainhart on The Hub: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/mac-osx/optimise-your-macs-performance-using-terminal-to-run-os-x-maintenance-scripts[/url] :)
  • Dekuruy
    'Yes they are' - your most informative cameo yet, Rounik! And hey, that overbearing, controlling producer's voice sounds really familiar! Poor Peter - you didn't know what you were getting into joining the MPV team! But anyway, all seriousness aside, I'm glad that you both agree, Rounik and Peter, that it should be relatively safe to load my projects into my new setup. My students' show is this Friday, so after that I will feel better about trying some voodoo on my system as you, Peter, and the great dietician of the digital detoxification (Rounik?!?) have prescribed. I'll gladly let you know of the results when I try - if I can wade through the mess!
  • Peter Schwartz
    Excellent. That means you're up to The Serial Nature of MIDI (key word being "nature" considering that there are creatures of the woods involved). (I guess.) LOL! I'd be curious to know who you think that voice belongs to. It's a closely guarded secret, so I won't be posting about it here anytime soon LOL! But if you would, please write to me at the address below (set up specifically for the occasion) and let me know who you think it is! whostheproducer (the "AT" symbol) score2picture (dot) com
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: